Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Making Memories one Mile at a Time"

Hey quilters....recently went on a "road trip" with my in laws and wanted to bring something interesting for mom and I to do. We are both quilters so I figured she might take some projects to work on. Sometimes I tend to "talk a lot" so I thought this trip I would sit back and enjoy the countryside and give my hubby a break. While packing I thought this is the time to break out all those quilt magazines that Mom has been saving. That's right Quilt magazines that dated from the 80's. As we sat in the back and passed the magazines it was nice to hear stories of how some of her friends had made certain quilt designs from the magazines. How she remembered certain "quilt vests" that she had made to wear to quilt shows. How quilt designs/patterns have changed. Quilt techniques are more advanced especially with all our "time saving techniques". Now technology has made designing quilts so wonderful with EQ7 etc. I personally, when learning to quilt would have never imagined me designing quilts on a computer. As we shared stories I thought..."The one thing that should never change is the "Hands on Memories" that you create with time spent with family". When planning your next "road trip" bring something that might trigger those quilt memories that you might have forgotten. As I say....you are "Making Memories one Mile at a Time"
Here's some tips that have been sent in too share....thanks so much and keep the tips coming!

"Blessed Quilting from our Home to Yours"
email tips: cmhdesigns2@yahoo.com
www.perfectgift-fromabove.com

* Invest in two irons....have one for your pressing/steaming fabrics and one for fusing appliques etc.
   Use non-stick reusable pressing sheets....works wonders and keeps irons clean.

* Always have your thumb handy....cheapest, and most convenient iron "finger pressing" and you
    steam is always available :-)

* Pipe cleaners are great for cleaning out the bobbin area of sewing machine

* Use a black permanent marker to mark the tip of your thread to make threading a needle easier.
   I like to mark my sewing machine needle "eye" as well :-)

* Grab the empty cardboard that fabric comes on...it's free!!! Wash and press your fabric and wrap\
   back on the cardboard and your fabric is ready for your next project!

* Save your quilt batting scraps....works great for packaging those delicate items when  moving
   or storing

*Wrap a scrap piece of batting around a ruler, secure with a rubber band and dust in between the
   slats of blinds. Works wonderful!

* Cut squares from your scraps at the time you are working on projects and label and store in a bin.
   Love this one and I am going to "Try" it :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment