Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"HOW TO AVOID THE QUILTER'S SPREAD"

Good morning quilters! First I have to say "Thank you" for sending in tips. I love to look at the "stats" especially sense this is a new quilt blog. I was so amazed to see the hits from other countries! It brought back so many memories. I remember growing up in Germany as a child seeing quilts hanging from windows on Saturday mornings. I asked my dad why they hung "blankets" out of their windows. I remember dad saying..."Don't know"....hmm....dad was always had a "short and sweet comment" :-) I remember asking him if I could hang my blankets out of my bedroom window....his reply was 'No"...again, that did not work for a little six year old red-head! We lived off base and the homes were so amazing....to this day they have inspired me as a designer. Anyway...I went across the street...knocked on the door....and this sweet German lady answered....I asked her why her blankets are hanging out of her windows....she replied....well, honestly to this day I am not sure :-)...I left and walked down the street to the next house and finally got an answer I could sort of understand. Another sweet German lady replied...."They are Quilts and they are hung to freshen them"....well...I asked WHY?....I bet my parents were so glad when I got out of the "why stage"....anyway, she told me "why" and asked "don't you have a quilt? Well...no I didn't!!! She said everyone should have a quilt they are made with love. Hmmm....I remember going home and trying to open the shutters and finally hanging my "blanket" out the window. It was fun while it lasted....Dad came home and needless to say I had to bring my blanket back in! To this day I love to air my quilts on the clothes line. Some memories are triggered for a reason. As they say "Quilts are Ties that Bind People Together."
Well, today's tip is a funny one. When I read this one I couldn't help but laugh. But on the serious note these tips will help to prevent you from sitting for a long time while sewing/quilting.

*Have your ironing board on the other side of the room of your sewing machine so you have to "get up" to press your seams. Just think if you have a lot of seams in your design you should average a half-mile to a mile walk daily!

*If you accidently drop a few scraps of fabric on the floor, just think of them as "stomach crunches" as you get them. And if you're like me I tend to do that a lot :-)

*While fabric shopping...don't pick up those "Fat Quarter's" find the "heavy bolt of fabric" and carry that to the cutting table. That's right ladies....you just worked out your "upper arms". Make several trips and you worked out your calves as well :-)

Well....you know me....here's the best tip that I am going to share that works for me...."Always have your candy jar full of your favorite chocolates adjacent to your sewing machine and your ironing board and you will definitely get a "full workout"...works for me anyway!

As always....thanks for sharing your tips!

"Blessed Quilting from our Home to Yours"
Email tips: cmhdesigns2@yahoo.com
www.perfectgift-fromabove.com


No comments:

Post a Comment