Friday, December 15, 2023

Lit-up 4 Santa!...Phase 3

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are having a great Friday. This week flew for me. I love it when I don't have any doc appts. in a week just home PT. I never thought I would admit to that...for sure! Well, I'm embracing for a crazy weather weekend and if you are too my prayers are with you as well. I wanted to go ahead and post phase 3 of the design. You never know how the power will be affected. Plus, it will definitely be a fun step if you are stranded inside due to rain. I love making "bias cut strands." They are so much fun to work with...making curves...etc. If you're not familiar with a bias cut it allows you to "stretch" the fabric to make the curves. You cut a 45* angle which gives you the stretch in your fabric. Because I'm a bit stingy with this stunning fabric by Moda I just cut a square at a time to not waste any. I love how the Platinum Ombre Flurries was perfect for the strands. If you're following my design, then do a square at a time and only fully secure the strands that you won't be carrying over to another square. This is why I fully recommend "layout out" your design to get the feel of how you want your "strands" to connect to the Christmas Bulbs. Due to my design being a baby quilt I did a "X" at the top of the bulb to symbolize a bow. You can always make it look like it "tucked" into the top of bulb then do decorative stitching at the top. You know me it's a fun project so get creative and have fun. I am trying to get this finished for a gift this year, but this is just the first of many projects to come. We'll be having a year of "Quilt-Mas Cheer" in 2024 so save those scraps. If you're like me sewing with Christmas fabric brings me joy and takes my mind of pain for a few minutes. Hey, I'll take a minute or two without pain! :-) Oh, one item that I forgot to mention that helps this design come together is playing your favorite Christmas music. I know sounds weird, but it keeps me calm when I'm sewing. If you get stranded in house due to weather and still have shopping to do see my previous post on making small gifts. You will definitely use up some of those scraps :-) Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


Making the 'Strands"...

* Rotary cut a 13" square from Moda Ombre Flurries Platinum. Press if needed.

* Make a 45* cut...then using your ruler make another cut 3/4" wide using your first 45* cut as your guide. Continue this method to make as many cuts as possible. I did a lot of strands and repeated this method twice. I made my strands look a bit "twisted." Remember it's your quilt so have fun and make as many as you like :-)

* Carefully press each "strand" in half.

Tip...Make as needed to not waste fabric :-)



* Per design layout...layout strands like you are connecting the bulbs from end to end. I started at top and made a curve wrapping around but do what is easy for you. 

* I then did a decorative zig zag stitch using Aurifil 50 weight # 2615 to secure the strands only on the areas that I would not be connecting to another block. This might seem tedious but it's a lot easier maneuvering one block when stitching then a whole pieced quilt on your sewing machine. 

Tip...I made my "strand tails" a bit longer. You can always trim them as you go.

* Once you get the idea of how your strands will flow throughout the quilt & your appliqued parts that you can to each block then you can start sewing your squares together.

* I started with one row at a time being careful not to sew the "strand tails" that are loose.

* Sew blocks with right sides together & using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Tip...you will have "bulk" from the batting so take your time and adjust your machine if needed. 

* Carefully press each seam open on back.

* Per design I did one row at a time being careful to follow the design layout. See pic below.

Note...I started the layout of blocks on my guest bed...then on the floor by my sewing machine. A design wall would be great to keep the blocks in order...:-) 

Connecting Strands... 

* Once you are happy with your design then you can sew your rows together being careful not to sew the "loose strands" or the "tails."

* You will use a 1/4" inch seam allowance and follow the same method as piecing the blocks.

* Now you can "connect the strand tails" to the next block. This is the step I'm currently doing. No pic yet...wanted y'all to continue yours without any delays on my part :-) 

Remember...take your time with the decorative stitching on strands...use a tiny stitch length for easy maneuvering. If you pinned like I did just be careful to remove pins before sewing...trust me :-)

Have fun & talk soon,

Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment