Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Lit-up 4 Santa!...Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...hope all is going well and you're having a great start to a non-hectic week. I guess we can all pray for that especially this time of year. My heart goes out to the tornado victims. I can't even imagine going through a tornado, Hurricanes are enough for me. It does make you realize to make everyday count. I saw a sign on a truck yesterday that really moved me. It stated every day is a chance for a new beginning. Absolutely true. I used to tell my daughter what happened yesterday can't today because we're already aware of it...seems so true to this day. Anway don't mean to ger mushy but cherish today and take the time to bring joy into your lives. Holidays are hectic and I to have to remember I can't do all the things that I would like but that's o.k. too. I'm still here driving everyone nuts :-) Well I hope you're as excited as I am with this sweet Christmas quilt. I stated in previous post of the items needed but what I did not state correctly was my quilt will be only 40 x 40. I uploaded the design from EQ8 and you can see the basic design and you can see how easily it would be to enlarge just by adding more borders or even more rows. It's pretty basic but appliqueing the Christmas bulbs & Snowflakes is what brings the design together with that awesome fabric. I wanted a white background to make the fabric pop, but you can definitely change the design to your preference. I did test the dark fabric just to make sure it didn't run but most of the time buying quality fabric that doesn't happen. Also, i changed one of the "bulbs" to a different location from previous pic...see if you can find it :-) My O.C.D. kicked in...yup...that's me! Anyway, with Phase 1 you will be rotary cutting your white fabric & low-loft batting and appliqueing the large Christmas Lights. I did raw-edge applique with a light fusible web on the large bulbs and then heatnbond lite on the small lights and snowflakes. I will give you a hint....definitely check your layout before fusing to make sure you have all going in your desired direction. Also, when appliqueing use a tiny stitch length for easier pivoting. I purchased a soft blanket for the backing due to only "tack quilting" so please allow enough yardage for your backing as well. Remember this is the first of our "Quilt-Mas Cheer all year in 2024!" I'm excited and I thank y'all so much for following.!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


Design is 40 x 40...easily enlarge if desired.


Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut from your white fabrics ( I alternated my two patterns throughout the design)

*  Rotary cut  (14) squares 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 

* Rotary cut ( 4) squares 4 1/2 x 9 1/2

* Low loft batting the same.

* Lay your squares out per design.

Note:...following squares need to be sewn together if following my layout before you applique Christmas Lights. Sew together using a 1/4" seam allowance and right sides 2gether .Press.

Row 1...squares 3 & 4

Row 2...squares 1 & 2...and 4 &5

Row 4...squares 4 & 5

* Rotary cut from your accent fabric (Moda) 6 x 9 1/2 and low loft fusible web. Fuse to wrong side of fabric following manufacturer's directions. Repeat for all 7 large Lights.

* Using the large Christmas Light template from Missouri Star Quilt Co. trace around the teal and turquoise fabrics on the back side of paper.

Tip...if you want to Precisely position the snowflakes like I did then use a erasable marking pen or pencil and trace on the front.

* Cut online with a small pair of scissors for easy maneuvering.

*  Lay out on squares per design or create your own.

* Fuse to right side of squares following manufactures directions.

Tip... I used my t-Shirt pressing cloth from MSQC to protect my iron, Follow manufacturer's directions.

* Lay low loft batting on back side of each square. Pin or clip to secure.

* Applique around each Christmas light with coordinating thread or your preferred method.


Have fun!

Check back soon for Phase 2,

Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment