Monday, April 29, 2024

Suppers on the Porch..."Tweet Trivet"

 Hey quilter's...hope you had a restful weekend. My prayers are for everyone with this crazy Spring weather. We had wind yesterday that blew my plants like crazy but I'm not going to complain. Sometimes I hate watching the news...seeing what lives are affected by the storms. All we can do is pray for the families to have strength during the difficult times. I pray for everyone...every morning to have strength during their difficult times. So yes, that includes you. We might not know each other but through the magic of technology we get too! That is one thing that I love about the "quilting world." We share amongst others...inspiring others & if you're like me...quilting it forward. I get so thrilled when I'm seeing pics of young children at a sewing machine on social media. I love to teach a child to sew/quilt or anybody...it's a skill that you will use forever. Plus, can make a great job skill financially in a lot of areas of sewing & quilting. I for one love how "thread and fabric therapy" has helped me. I've seen on social media of how Wounded Warriors are sewing/quilting to help w/ P.T.S.D. So, if you have a chance to teach this amazing skill please do so. Sometimes we don't realize how something so simple inspires others. Well, I hope you've enjoyed this Scrap-a-long..."Suppers on the Porch." I've had a blast & love the fabric so much that I made a small "tweet trivet" to go along with the fun-ctional table decor. I think y'all know by now that I love entertaining outdoors & listening to birds. The fabric "Porch Swing" by Riley Blake Designs & the "Spring Icons bird" Template inspired my design. All supplies are from Missouri Star Quilt Co. You can save 20% off $50. or more for the month of April w/my link on supplies. The "tweet trivet" is using the small & medium Octagon Template so if you're at this point you've used all three sizes of the Octagon Templates from MSQC. I love the quality of MSQC Templates & if you've been on their website lately "Chuck" now has his own template. Wow. I can only imagine the designs everyone will be coming up w/that super cute guy! I thank y'all so much for following & pop on over to my cooking blog for recipes that I'll be sharing soon using this fun-ctional home decor "Suppers on the Porch." Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)

Here's all you need...

Note...You will be using the scrap pieces & 2 of the 10" squares from "Porch Swing" collection.

* Small & Medium Octagon Template from Missouri Star Quilt Co.

* Insulbright

* Low loft batting

Here's all you do...

* Using the small octagon...center within the 10" square bird design and rotary cut around the template.


* Using the "medium octagon template" rotary cut your backing...insulbright & batting...set aside.

Scrappy Borders...

Note...you will repeat next step 3 times for the three scrappy borders :-)

* Rotary cut a few scrap pieces 1" x 4 1/2 to start...you will adjust length as you go.

* Using the same method as the bird squares & fun-stional centerpiece....start at the upper right corner sewing strips to octagon shape with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. You will sew in  a clockwise direction & press and square up as you go.

* Continue this method until all 3 scrappy borders are achieved. Isn't it fun using those scraps? :-)



Border/Binding...

Note...yes, it's wide due to later you will fold to the back of square to achieve the 1/2" binding on back.

* Layer...backing...facing down...insulbright...low loft batting & block right side up (facing you)

* Same way...start at upper right corner...finger press border to the back leaving a 1/2" binding on the front....continue clockwise...clip as you go.

* Carefully flip block over.

* Starting at same upper right corner...fold binding in half to secure raw edge of fabric.

* Continue clockwise and remove/adjust clips as you go.

Note...I leave the clips in as I am doing this step to keep all layers secure. :-) see above pic :-)

* Crazy stitch on front of block to secure seam on back. Remove clips as you go.

Quilt block as desired. I did an outline stitch around the center octagon, but it would be fun to do some accent quilting around the fabric design :-) 

Now you're ready for those "Suppers on the Porch!"

Keep following for more "Scrap-a-longs".

Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment