Friday, April 12, 2024

Scrap-y Garden Apron..."Left-over Lovin' w/Art Gallery Fabrics"

 Hey quilter's...it's finally Friday! Well here's a  super fun project for the weekend. You know just in case you don't have anything to do already. :-) Y'all, I had a left-over piece of this gorgeous fabric from making the Aprons & I had to make something that was practical too. My scrap piece was only 23 x 28 & I turned it into a "Scrap-y Garden Apron" for my daughter. Oh my gosh...I'm pretty happy with how this came together so fast & easy. No pattern used,,,I just winged it :-) But I will say the canvas fabric by Art Gallery Fabrics makes the design. I'm in love with this fabric & I definitely see making more gifts from this gorgeous fabric in my future. This gardening apron would make a great Mother's Day gift or birthday gift or any occasion...it's sew cute! If you are lucky to have a scrap piece of fabric a bit larger than I would probably make my straps longer. I used what I had but will say it still tied great. As always adjust the size to your needs...it's that easy! Oh, before I forget...please follow me on Facebook tomorrow (Saturday)...we have something special happening w/Missouri Star Quilt Co. Speaking of MSQC ....my link will save you 20% off $50. or more for the month of April. I hope you make this super easy garden apron for someone special or you :-) Thanks so much for following & talk soon!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)

Scrap-y Garden Apron & Chuck loves it too!...


Note....Finished size is 12 x 20 1/4 ...adjust instructions to your "scrap piece" :-)

* Rotary cut scrap to 15 x 22 1/2

Sides & bottom hem...

* Fold over 1" to the back & press. 

* Fold in half again...press...top stitch on front to secure fold.

Tip...I do a "double seam" for reinforcement plus gives a "professional look" :-)

* Repeat step for both sides & bottom hem.

Top Band...

* Fold over fabric 2" to back side & press. 

* Fold under 1/2 " press.

* Top stitch on front (makes the 1 1/2" band) double seam for that professional look!

Note...Pic below is the back side of apron of how seams align :-) Fabric super easy to sew!

Straps...

* Rotary cut a 3" x 22 1/2 scrap piece (or to your desired length)

* Fold in half length wise & press.

* Fold sides in 1/4 " to hide your raw edge. Press.

* Top stitch on front to secure fold. Double seam when stitching if desired.

* Sew straps to left/right side of apron. Align the straps w/the mock waist band on wrong side of apron...Pin or clip to secure. Sew seam on front & reinforce seam as you start/stop. Double seam to reinforce the straps plus still keeping that professional look as well. :-)

Pocket...

* Rotary cut 8 x 17" from scrap.

* Fold over sides 1" to back side of fabric. Press.

* Fold in half again to secure raw edge & top stitch on front. Top stitch on front to secure fold.

* Repeat same step for bottom hem.

* Align pocket as desired on apron front. Pin to secure.

Tip...I folded the apron in half for centering & aligned the pocket w/the apron bottom edge.

* Starting at upper right of pocket. Top stitch around pocket to secure to apron. Double stitch to secure & keep the professional look :-)

3 Individual pockets...

* This is a personal preference. I made 3 individual pockets to hold gardening/cell phone items.

* All you do is divide the pocket as desir3ed &  mark w/ a disappearing pen/pencil

Tip...I marked 2 lines 5" in from left/right side which gave me 3 pockets :-)



* Sew on that line...back stitch at top/bottom to reinforce pockets. 

* Erase lines per manufacturer's directions.

Well, you did it! I hope you enjoyed making this "fun-ctional" project. If you're giving as a gift, you can stuff items in pockets...super cute gift! :-) 



Of course, I had to add "Forget Me Not Seeds"...carrying on the tradition of what my late Mother-in-law did to me...I'm sure you read in previous post of "quilting it forward." :-) 

Thanks for following & check back soon for more "fun-ctional projects." 

Talk soon,

Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment