Sunday, April 28, 2024

"Suppers on the Porch"...Fun-ctional Centerpiece!

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are doing well and have restful plans for the weekend. Life goes by quickly so take the time to do what you enjoy...even if it's for a few minutes. I know with me...just taking a few minutes throughout the day and sewing/quilting helps re-set my mind. I preach a lot on "thread and fabric therapy" but I can say that "I'm a true testament. "When you have a "distraction from pain...even for a few moments it helps rejuvenate your or mine anyway, attitude. I would be a nut case if I constantly focused on my pain. So, I hope you take a few minutes for yourself this weekend do what you love, and I hope a few minutes is "scrapin'a-long" with me. As y'all know the "Suppers on the Porch" fun-ctional table decor for entertaining was made of 5 individual Octagon squares. Well, I'll be sharing with y'all the "fun-ctional centerpiece" to complete the table decor (runner) for entertaining. If you're at this stage with me, you have probably noticed of how convenient & fun the 10" squares "Porch Swing" by Riley Blake Designs. You have more of a variety to "rotary cut" & use the 10" squares verses a charm pack which is made up of 5" squares to a pack. Believe me...I love both. I'm all about saving space and both have convenient use within a design. Once you have completed this stage you will be able to lay out your squares in a row to achieve the home decor "table runner." The center piece will allow you to place your hot/cold item on when entertaining. Plus, they all stack up for convenience & saving space. Yes. You know me, I'll be sharing some recipes that I love using this method on my cooking blog "Cooking and decor w/Cat"...link upper right on home page. If you still need supplies my link to Missouri Star Quilt Co. will save you 20% off $50. or more for the month of April. I thank y'all so much for following and check back soon for one more "tweet addition" to this fun-ctional home decor "Suppers on the Porch." Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from my Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


Fun Fact...this was the "first time" I added small borders to a "Octagon Square." Remember when I stated at the beginning of the year that I wanted to challenge myself this year and learn more sewing/quilting techniques :-) Total respect to quilters that make tons of these squares in a quilt design!

Here's all you need...

* Medium & Large Octagon Templates by Missouri Star Quilt Co.

* Insul-bright

Note... You will still be using your 10" squares & scraps from previously, but you will need the insul-bright for the hot/cold items & I did a "quilting in the ditch" using Aurifil 50 weight #2134 to accent the center Octagon shape. Plus, it helps to secure the insul-bright too. 

Here's all you do...

* Select 1 Bird 10" square & rotary cut on right side of fabric using your Medium Octagon Template.

Tip...position template as desired to get as much of those sweet birds :-)

* Select 1 10" square for the background fabric & set aside. 

* Rotary cut using your "large Octagon Template" insul-bright...low loft batting & your background fabric...set aside

Scrappy Borders...

(You will make 3 ...1/2" borders)

* Rotary cut strips 1" wide by 5" starting out...I do longer then square up. Use previous cut scraps :-)

* Using the same method as the "Bird squares"...start at upper right corner of octagon square and place a strip w/ right sides together using a 1/4" seam.

* Press and square up.

* Continue this method clockwise until you have achieved all sides to form the Octagon.

* Press block to make sure all your seams are flat on back before adding more strips.

* Repeat this same process with the next 2 borders....using scrap pieces if possible

Remember save those scraps :-)



Border/Binding...

Note...yes, it is wider but we fold back later w/my easy technique :-)

* Rotary cut 2" strips & using the same method as above...starting at same corner previously...place a strip with right sides together using 1/4" seam allowance...press & square up as you sew in the clockwise direction.

* Remember the scrappier the better :-) 


* Layer backing square...right side down

* Insul-bright & batting square

* Octagon block centered on top w/right side up (facing you)

* Using the same method as sewing strips...start at upper right corner and fold back strip to back leaving a 1/2" border on front. Finger press & clip to secure

* Repeat same method in a clockwise motion for all sides of Octagon.

* Carefully flip block over....

* Starting at same corner...tuck in your fold to secure seam...finger press..clip...continue clockwise to achieve all borders on Octagon square.

Note....I remove...re-position the clips as I go so to keep all layers in tack :-) Why I love "clips" super functional :-)


* Top stitch or "crazy stitch" on front to secure binding on back :-) 

* Remove clips as you go :-)

Note...This is where you can get creative & have fun! I did the "crazy stitch " w/ Aurifil 50 wight thread black # 2692 then stitched in the ditch around the center 5" Octagon w/ Aurifil 50 weight #2134. 

* Now lay out your squares as desired for entertaining. I alternated the direction of the "bird squares" on each side of the fun-ctioning center block to give it an interesting design.

Remember...this is a space-saver..so just stack & store when needed :-)

Yes....mine will be used inside too. These birds are adorable ;-)

Well, you did it!!!! You just completed your "Suppers on the Porch" fun-ctional home decor/table runner for entertaining!

Have fun entertaining & check back soon for more "fun-ctional decor" & recipes on my cooking blog using this super cute table decor :-) 

Talk soon,
Cat










No comments:

Post a Comment