Wednesday, April 17, 2024

"Suppers on the Porch" Fun-ctional Table Decor'..Phase 2

 Hey quilter's...hope all is well. I'm so excited about this sweet table decor that I'm actually going right to the directions. I've had a blast with the templates from Missouri Star Quilt Company and the "Porch Swing" fabric by Riley Blake Designs is stunning. I love it when fabric makes the design & in this case it really does. The scrappy birds are so sweet and just wait until you see what's coming soon. I might have gotten a bit carried away. But that's what I do...I love sharing fun & easy projects with y'all. In this phase you'll be making "branches" for the birds to perch on. No worries if you haven't tried this step before...super easy. Trust me :-) You will also be adding the "scrappy border" to the Octagon Square. I love this part because you get to pick and choose from the lovely fabric collection as desired. My O.C.D. (only Cat does) kicked in a bit so don't over think it...the scrapier the better. Just have fun! If you're just joining the scrap-a-long don't forget to use my link to MSQC to save 20% off $50. or more on supplies for the month of April. I hope you're having as much fun as me making this "fun-ctional table decor." Thanks so much for following!

Blessed Quilting,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest


Here's all you do...

* Take one of your bird's background 10" sq. and trace round Octagon template on right side of fabric using your preferred marking method.

* Rotary cut on that line.

* Repeat for all 4 Octagon Bird background squares. (set aside)

Making the Branches...

* Select one dark green and one light green 10" squares.

* Sub cut on a 45* angle into 1" strips & 3/4" strips.

Tip...cutting on a 45* angle gives the fabric a stretch if you want to make branches bend easier.


* Fold a strip in half (wrong sides 2gether) press...then fold in the raw edges & press to secure edges.

* Do this for all strips...you might not use them all :-)

* Now take one octagon square and position branches on right side of fabric as desired.

* Pin to secure if desired.

Tip...I positioned my bird within the Octagon square to get a "visual" of where I wanted my branches to be :-) I also used a dark and light green strip on each square to give the branches a different color. This is where you can get creative & have fun! :-)

* Do not adhere bird....this will happen in next Phase :-)

* Top stitch on branches to secure.

* Repeat for all 4 Octagon Squares.

Scrappy/Border/Binding...

* Select 8 10" squares as desired & rotary cut each in half to have a5 x 10" strips.

* Select one strip from each and set the others aside.

* Take one 5 x 10" strip & sub cut into 2 x 10" strips...set the 1" strip aside.

* Take your Octagon square w/ right side facing you & starting at one side sew a strip with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Press & trim even with shape of Octagon.

* Going in a "clockwise" fashion,,,keep adding borders as above until you have reached back up to the top of the Octagon.

Note...you're going Cat...this is a wide border.... yes but you will be turning the strip over later for my easy border/binding method :-) you know me...less-stress-quilting, :-)

* Repeat this step on all 4 Octagon squares.

* Sneek-Peek of what it will look like on next phase :-)


Check back soon for Phase 3,

Cat



 



No comments:

Post a Comment