Tuesday, April 16, 2024

"Suppers on the Porch"...Fun-ctional Table Decor..Phase 1

 Hey quilter's....happy Tuesday! I wanted to always say that....we laugh all the time because when you retire sometimes you don't even know what day it is....sad but true :-) That's one of my goals! Well I'm excited to share Phase 1 with y'all of "Suppers on the Porch." I'm having a blast of how easy this scrap-a-long is coming together. Sometimes I feel when you are sewing/piecing gorgeous fabric together it motivates you to finish the project faster. At least for me anyway. I love this collection " You have 42...10" squares in stunning hues & prints that are already coordinated for you. Seriously y'all, as a designer half the time is spent coordinating fabric. Well in Phase 1 you will be selecting your fabrics from this gorgeous collection for 4 birds...5 Octagon Sq's that will become the "Fun-ctional Table Decor." The 5 sq's are individually pieced & quilted then once finished you lay them in a row to form a decorative table runner. The "center square" is actually more functional than the other 4 as it will become a "trivet" for hot/cold items to set on when entertaining. The center block is where you will be using the insul-bright insert. Later you'll have the option of making smaller trivets that coordinate for entertaining. I'm breaking the steps down for you so bear with me if it seems a bit daunting at first. I want you to use all this stunning collection :-) Once you start the "Scrapin' Like Crazy" technique you'll want to make more of my upcoming projects using this technique. It's super fun & therapeutic & no paper-piecing! You know me "I'm all about Thread and Fabric Therapy!" If you need supplies my link to MSQC will save you 20% off $50. or more for the month of April. Thanks so much for following & have fun!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Partner

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


(Supplies listed on previous post)

Here's all you do...

* Organize the fabric squares by prints & hues (aren't they gorgeous?)

* Select 5...10" sq's for the Background fabric ( 1 is for the center block)

* I alternated my background prints from light to dark (My O.C.D)

* Select 9 of the small prints & rotary cut in half to make Two...5 x 10" pieces.

* Select one of each 5 x 10 inch prints...set the others aside for later use :-)

Making the "Scrappy Birds"

* Take 1 of the 5 x 10" piece and cut into 4 off centered pieces (this step is so fun & therapeutic)

* Repeat this step for all 5 x 10" squares...set aside into piles.

Tip...hold your large bird template to get a "vision" of how you would like your bird to look. As I was piecing my scraps 2gether I would then lay my bird template on top of the pieced fabric to guide me in which direction to sew the next piece on. Sew much easier than paper-piecing :-) Also I "flipped" my Large Bird Template over to make 2 birds in opposite directions. 

* Sew your scrap pieces w/ right sides 2gether....using a 1/8" seam allowance if possible (less bulk) & finger press seams flat...trim away access fabric before sewing the next piece.

* Save those scraps :-) :-) :-) 

* Using your Bird Template as your guide sew enough pieces together to form his body. 

* Press seams flat before next step ;-)

* Using a erasable pen/pencil of your choice...position the bird template on the right side of your scrap fabric piece & trace around the bird template. 

* Carefully cut on that line using sharp scissors. 

* Repeat this fun/therapeutic step to make 4 "Scrappy Birds"

You will later raw edge "a-play-que" around the birds :-)

Check back soon for Phase 2.

Cat






















No comments:

Post a Comment