Thursday, April 18, 2024

"Suppers on the Porch"..Fun-ctional Table Decor'..Phase 3

 Hey quilter's...hope all is well and you're having kind weather. I watch the national weather every morning and this has been a crazy start to Spring. My prayers are with everyone going through difficult times. As y'all know by now I'm obsessed with this fabric collection "Porch Swing" by Riley Blake Designs. The 10" squares have such a variety of prints & hues that it makes these Birds Sing! The Spring Bird Icon Templates & Octagon Templates by Missouri Star Quilt Company are super easy to design with and great quality. In this phase I will be showing you the "baby bird." This is an option but he's so stinkin cute that I hope you incorporate it into the design. You will be making 5 Octagon Sq's in total...4 Bird Sq's & one fun-ctional centerpiece in Phase 4. I was only going to make 2 birds, but they were so much fun that I made 4 :-) I staggered them in different areas by their "Mommas" & was pretty pleased of how it all came together. I'm just here to guide & inspire you so use your creativity & have fun. If you need supplies pop on my link to MSQC to save 20% off $50. or more for the month of April from MSQC. Browse their website for inspiration with their great tutorials & daily deals. The "Doan Ladies" are always creating something special & they will definitely inspire you & keep you in stitches! I thank y'all so much for following & hope you're having as much fun as I am. I love to do my own "give-a-way" to show my appreciation for following me so please follow me on Instagram & Facebook. I just gifted a "Car Coaster & Quilting Traveler's Luggage Tag" & a sweet quilty-friend from Pennsylvania won...that was exciting.  Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from my Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


Here's all you do...

* Select 4...10" squares for backing.

* Place large Octagon template on right side of fabric & trace around template w/your preferred method.

* Rotary cut on the lines. 

* Repeat for all 4 squares. Set aside.

* Do the same method for your low-loft batting & insul-bright. Set aside.

Sweet Scrappy Baby Birds...

* You will make the baby birds the same way as the large Scrappy Birds. You can use your scrap pieces from your large bird or give them a different look by using the 1" strips that were set a side earlier. I used the 1" strips and pieced in the same color fashion as the Momma bird. I love this look because baby birds don't have all their color yet :-) Make as many as you desire and set aside once finished.

* Preparing your blocks for a-play-que & quilting...

Note...If you choose to only "a-play-que) your block then layer only the batting. If you choose to a-play-que & quilt within your block then layer batting and backing (right side down)

* Position your Large Bird & Baby bird within your block as desired.

* Pin in place or use a bit of washable fabric glue to adhere or your preferred method.

Tip...I spray my birds with "Faultless Premium" starch before I a-play-que my items when using the raw-edge method. This helps me to not have frayed raw edges when sewing. Plus sewing with the "crazy stitch" helps as well. I align my sewing foot to the edge of the design for the outside stitching then center the stitch on the line when doing the "crazy stitch" within the birds. I always do a test to adjust the stitch width if necessary. All machines are different so jot down your stitch used if you jump between machines like I do :-) 

* A-play-que your birds or quilt as desired. I used Aurifil 50 weight black #2692.

* Repeat this method for all 4 Bird Octagon Squares.

Finishing...

* Layer backing square ...right side facing down.

* Then your Octagon Birds square...right side facing you.

* Starting at upper right corner...fold border under 1/2" inch finger press.

* Repeat this step in a "clockwise motion" until you reach back to top.

* Flip square over and using the same clockwise method...tuck in the border in half to close the raw edge. Pin or clip as you go to secure.


* Carefully flip square over & top stitch to secure. I used the "crazy stitch" it grabs the backing pretty well to secure the fold on back, but you do what works best. 

* Repeat this method for all 4 Octagon Bird Blocks.

Tip...I placed my Octagon Template within my square as a guide to make sure I was keeping the shape as I folded border over. It's not perfect but I was pleased with the outcome :-) remember have fun...no quilting police on my blog :-) 


Here's a "Peek" of my 2nd block & how I alternated the background fabric. This fabric is so inspiring so have fun & create away!

Check back soon for the Fun-ctional Center Piece 
Octagon Square,
Cat









No comments:

Post a Comment