Wednesday, March 6, 2024

"Quilter Gnome Wall decor"...Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is going great and enjoying National Quilting Month. I love all the celebrations...daily deals that Missouri Star Quilt Co is sharing to celebrate this wonderful skill. That's right...I call quilting a "skill." Yes, it's been around forever and has evolved like crazy but it's still a skill that we need to pass on to others. Quilting designs are plentiful...so many to choose from even if you are new to the love of quilting. You will find many designs to choose from no matter your skill level. I especially love cute small projects or "hacking" a large pattern design and making a table runner...square or wall decor. You have so many opportunities to make a design custom to your needs. So, if you see a pattern...design please don't get intimidated. Look at it as a challenge to put your own spin on it. The "quilter gnome" that I'm sharing with you is from "The Whole Country Caboodle." and can be purchase from Missouri Star Quilt co. (link upper right on blog). I'll be making a "wall decor" using this super cute pattern but again you do you. A pillow would be adorable...an apron.... endless possibilities. I am also using a charm pack by Maywood Studio (Kimberbell basics bright lights) for the pieced border, and it matches perfectly. You won't be using the whole charm pack but no worries...I have another project lined up for the extra squares :-) I'm having a blast with this pattern. She is so stinkin cute and makes me smile every time I look at her. She is the perfect addition to my series "Havin' a Gnome-ful Year 2gether!." I haven't named her yet, but she definitely needs a super cute one. I listed the supplies needed on previous post and my link (upper right on home page) will save you 20% off of $50. or more until March 31st to celebrate National Quilting Month from MSQC. Thanks so much for following & let's celebrate our love of quilting 2gether w/this super cute quilter gnome. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)



Note...Instructions are for the 7 x 14 stretched canvas.

Here's all you do...

* Select 8 of the 5" charm squares.

* Rotary cut each 5" square  2 1/4 x 5...(just one for the scrappy look....save the scraps)

* Rotary cut each 2 1/4 strip to a 2 1/4 " square

* Per design...lay out your squares as desired. .

* Per design sew 1st row w/ four of your squares with right sides together using a 1/4" seam & finger press as you go. 

* I used 50# white MSQC thread when piecing/sewing 2gether.

* Sew second row the same then join your rows 2gether matching seams. Press.

* Rotary cut 2 strips from you fat quarter (background fabric) to 2 1/4 x 3 3/4

Note...next step you will use an 1/8 seam allowance. ( less of a seam lines up better w/ canvas)

* Sew strips to left/right side of border w/right sides together...Press.

* Rotary cut background fabric for bottom border to 2 1/4 x 10 3/4.

* Per design sew with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

*  Rotary cut your background fabric to 10 3/4 x 13 and sew to top of border with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

Note...I used the scrappy block border to line up my quilter gnome. Plus, I found it easier to start fusing "her" at the bottom then working my way up. :-)

* Following instructions on pattern...fuse your quilter gnome to background fabric. I fully recommend using a "pressing sheet" to protect your iron.

* Once you have fused your "quilter gnome" to background fabric then rotary cut your low loft batting to same size and quilt as desired with coordinating thread. I used 50# Aurifil thread (4150, 2360, 4093)

Note...if you are "a-play-que-ing" around her use a light-weight tear-away stabilizer...helps for stitching. Test with your machine if needed. Sometimes fusing a pattern to background fabric is stable enough but always test per your machine. ;-)

Have fun & check back soon for Phase 2,
Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment