Friday, March 22, 2024

"Hexagon Heirloom Fun-ctional Table Runner " Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...we made it...it's Friday! I know a lot of us are having weird "Spring weather" so this is the perfect time to start hand stitchin'. I'm in love with this sweet tribute to Jenny Doan's grandmother Ingrid from Missouri Star Quilt co. The kit "Ingrid's Wildflowers Heirloom Embroidery Kit" is fun for all skill levels of embroidery. The kit comes with 20 unique wildflower design that you actually "stick" on to your fabric then once finished you remove with water. Amazing! "Instructions in kit for that step." The kit also comes with the quilt pattern to do, or you can follow me for some "fun-ctional" home decor and gift ideas. You will have so much inspiration with all the detail of each design to create your own Ingrid's Wildflowers Heirloom. I'll be sharing today the first phase of my "fun-ctional" table runner. My design was inspired by the "Hexagon tin & instructional cards." That's right...no template needed...we'll be using the kit! I am embroidering on white Quilt Town Tossed Missouri Star by MSQC so I needed to switch up some of the thread hues for them to shine but that's fine too. It's all about creating your own memory. First, I'll be sharing the 'fun-ctional" table runner which I'll be making 3 individual Hexagon blocks that are also used as a "trivet" when entertaining. It's what I like to say "Fun-ctional Decor" You'll have a stunning...unique table runner then when you serve your food your gusts will be amazed when you place your hot/cold dishes on the runner. Plus, they stack for easy storage when you change your table out for another Holiday decor. If you want a longer runner, just make more hexagon blocks...endless opportunities await! :-) I do love how the original quilt design is on a denim which makes all the thread colors pop. It also brings back memories of making denim quilts with Oma. Memories I'll cherish forever. If you don't already have the kit you can click on my link to Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are taking pre-orders so catch up when you can. I'm a bit slow at hand embroidery so I'm sure you'll be fine :-) I will say this has helped me tremendously to make time to relax...reflect on what's important...take my mind off pain...we all know I'm all about "thread n fabric therapy." I hope you join this journey with me by cherishing Ingrids memories and if you need supplies this month until March 31st you can save 20% off $50. or more with my link (upper right on home page) from Missouri Star Quilt Co. Thanks so much for following & enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)


Here's all you need...

* Ingrid's Wildflowers an Heirloom Embroidery Kit by Missouri Star Quilt Co.

* Fabric of your desire for individual blocks....a scrappy design would be super cute if you don't do all white like I did :-)

Note....in Phase 2 you will need batting...Insulbright and fabric for backing :-)

Here's all you do...

* Using your "Instruction Card" they easily remove...trace around it on the wrong side of your center fabric w/your preferred marking pen or pencil.

* Rotary cut on that line. This starts your Hexagon design.


* From same fabric or scraps if desired...rotary cut strips 1 1/2 wide by length of strap. A 6 1/2 length will be your longest strip needed if you follow my design.

Note...I had left over sq's of my white fabric from previous project that were 11 x 11 and that was perfect for strips...hardly any waste but then again it just made more scraps to use later :-)

Tip...I rotary cut my strips longer than needed then square up. 

First border...

* Starting at top right going clockwise...sew a 1 1/2 x 3" strip to center with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press & square up evenly with center hexagon sq.

* 2nd strip...rotary cut strip 1 1/2 x 4 1/2...sew as above keeping the clockwise direction.

* 3rd strip through 5th strip will all be 1 1/2 x 4 1/2 sew as above.

* 6th strip...rotary cut strip 1 1/2 x 5 1/2  sew as above...press & square up if needed.


Second Border...

* Sewing with the same method as above...keeping in the clockwise direction...sew strips as follows.

* 1st strip...rotary cut 1 1/2 x 4 1/2 sew as previous strips

* 2nd through 5th strip will be 1 1/2 x 5 1/2

* 6th strip...rotary cut 1 1/2 x 6 1/2....sew as above...press & square up if needed.


Note...make sure your seams are pressed flat on back...Chuck approved this step :-) 

* Choose your embroidery design & apply to center of hexagon block following instructions within the kit. I love this...you just peel off backing of design and stick :-) 

* Position the hoop within the block.

* Embroider the design following the instructions on card. I love how fun this kit is...guides you through all the steps needed for the individual stitching. 

Enjoy & Happy Stitchin'!

Note...Missouri Star Quilt Co has wonderful embroidery tutorials on their website as well. Trust me I watched them...it's been a while since I dabbled into hand embroidery :-) 

Make as many "blocks" as you desire with the same method as above.

Check back soon for Phase 2,

Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment