Hey quilters...hope y'all are having a great week and enjoying this fun spook-tacular scrap-a-long. Geez say that twice and after drinking coffee. Speaking of coffee... I tend to a-play-que my letters in the morning as I am drinking a cup of coffee. Not sure why...maybe I'm relaxed more and happy to start sewing? Who knows with my quilters brain :-) Well in this phase you will be making the words (BLACK CATS) ...(& BATS!) using the Accuquilt 2" Alphabet letters/Numbers & Symbols die cuts. The layout is below for the beginner and advanced stage. I do want to share a tip with y'all. I cut my strips for the letters as I go. I don't like to waste fabric, and I'll be sharing an advanced border later that you can incorporate the scraps of the black/eggplant & purple fabrics. Also, for the letters I like to cut the strips a tad but larger than the letters of symbols then I cut the HeatnBond Lite a tad bit smaller, so I don't have glue seepage. A pressing sheet is recommended at this stage as well. I know making the words can seem daunting but that's why I love the Accuquilt die cutters. Saves time and super easy! My other tip to share is that I sew the recommended pumpkin orange squares together...then fuse the letters per manufacturer's directions then I a-play-que around the letters before sewing all the squares needed for that row. Again, this is just some tips that I do to make my life a bit easier when working on a large-scale project. I will admit the rows come together quickly, and you will most likely find what works for you as well. My design is just to jump start your creativity. Remember to have fun and let your creativity flow! Talk soon.
Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,
Cat
MSQC Affiliate
Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)
BOO-vile! Clue #2...
Tip...all squares are sewing w/ right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance unless stated differently.
Beginner...
* Prepare your Letters as desired ( I used Black fabric for the words BLACK CATS then Eggplant for the & BATS!)
ROW 3...
* After you have sewn your squares together then position the words "BLACK CATS" off center from previous "WITCHWES' HATS"
ROW 4...
* Same sewing method a above but now position the words "& BATS!" a bit off center from "Black CATS"
* A-play-que around letters as desired.
This will help with the use of the quilt to keep in good shape to pass down for generations of spooky fun :-)
* Pin rows or adhere back to design wall once finished (you'll sew rows together later on)
Advanced...
Tip...your end scrappy corners are rotary cut ( 2 3/4 x 2 1/2) to allow for 1/4 seam allowance.
* Prepare letters as desired (see beginner stage for fabric choices)
Row 6...
* corner scrappy square...3 scrappy squares (2 1/2 x 5)...4 orange squares ( 2 1/2 x 5) with words (BLACK CATS) then one corner scrappy square.
Row 7...
* 10 scrappy squares 2 1/2 x 5 aligned with previous post (you will notice you are achieving the off-set design to make your sewing easier...no matching center seams :-)
Row 8...
* corner scrappy square...4 scrappy squares 2 1/2 x 5...3 pumpkin squares 2 1/2 x5 with words ( & BATS!)...2 scrappy 2 1/2 x 5 squares...one corner scrappy square.
Row 9...
* 10 scrappy 2 1/2 x 5" squares
Row 10...
* corner scrappy square...9 scrappy squares 2 1/2 x 5" ...corner scrappy square.
Tip....after you have sewn your rows then pin or adhere back to design board.
Note...you will sew rows together later.
Well, you're halfway there! Take your time...have fun and remember you can join in at any time. That's why I love a scrap-a-long :-)
Talk soon,
Cat

No comments:
Post a Comment