Saturday, September 30, 2023

"All Treats in Quilt Town!" Towel 2 Pillow....Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...hope all is well. I've been recuperating from my first Cataract surgery this week. I've been told I'm a bit young for cataracts, so this was a bit of a shocker. I just assumed that I needed stronger prescription glasses. I've been dealing with a lot of blurry.... almost not seeing much so totally explains everything. I will admit that I was super nervous of the whole cutting eye procedure, but all was great and ready to get the next eyeball done soon. You just never know what life is going to bring! Well, I'm sure by now you know I'm obsessed with Quilt Town fabrics by Missouri Star Quilt co.& making my "Party Points."  When I received the Quilt Town 10 x 10" squares I was so inspired by the designs and color hues. When I saw the quilt design fabric squares with the orange yellow and white, I knew exactly where those 2 squares were going. I always say let your fabric inspire your design and this fabric totally did! I also love a good "hack"...especially sense my sewing is limited these days due to my back. I was fortunate when I saw this kitchen towel recently and I knew it would complement the Quilt Town fabrics perfectly for the "Fall Season." True confession y'all...I love candy corn. I wish I could eat it today, but it has a bit too much sugar for me...so a pillow is perfect. I can "see" my favorite candy without the sugar high! I also love that the design is a "pillow slip" so if you're like me and limited with space this is perfect for you. I do a lot of pillow slip designs "1 pillow...sew many ways!" I love to just change out the pillow cover per Holiday season. Great space saver and fun! You can see the technique on my "Scrapin' Fish tutorial." I used my "Christmas at the Lake" pillow and made the Fish cover to have out all year. :-) Seriously y'all when you "downsize" any clever hack is useful :-) I'm doing "back therapy" these days so asking prayers to hopefully not do the next step of surgery so my designs will be short and sweet. Which is fine 'cause we'll get some Christmas gifts finished on time together! Win...win...right? But for you young ambitious quilter's you know by now my designs can always be enlarged :-) In the meantime of my "down time" I do hope y'all keep following Missouri Star Quilt Company for their daily quilting deals. I love being on their email list for all the updates. I will be sharing their tutorials on my blog for y'all. They are so inspiring and easy to follow. My kind of designs :-) Well let's get started on this fun & easy Candy Corn Pillow. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

also easy recipes on www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

The pillow design is for a 16" x 16" pillow form :-) 



Here's all you need...

* decorative kitchen towel or your center design

* Quilt Town fabrics & coordinating thread by Missouri Star Quilt Co.

* T-Shirt Pressing cloth (also you can purchase on their website)

* 16 x 16" Pillow form 

* Light weight fusible stabilizer

Here's all you do...

Preparing your kitchen towel...

* Rotary cut light weight fusible interfacing to size of your center design. Mine is 7 x7. Plus add about 2" to help stabilize design. You will trim away later.

* Fuse to wrong side of towel following manufacturer's directions. Please use T-shirt pressing cloth to prevent design from smearing. :-)

Tip: if you don't have a towel you could always "fussy cut" around a design in fabric or even make your own design. I just love to "hack" a towel :-)

* Using a ruler...square up around your design before rotary cutting. Add a 1/2" all around design to allow for your 1/4" seam allowance. 

Per my design center is 7.5 x 7.5

Adding 1" borders...

* From one 10 x 10" Quilt Town square....rotary cut 2 strips 1 1/2 x 7 1/2 for Top/bottom border.

Note: this method gives you the extra fabric within the square to make Party-Points later:-)

* Sew strip to Top of square with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Press ( use pressing cloth to protect design) :-)

* Repeat same method for bottom border.

* From 2nd Quilt Town 10" square...Rotary cut 2 strips 1  1/2 x 9 1/2 for left/right border.

* Sew strip to left side with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Press

* Repeat same method for right border.

* Press & square up if needed.

Pic shows my center square 9.5 x 9.5 

For me that fabric totally makes this design :-) Love it!!!

Party-Point Borders...

* Rotary cut 12...4 x 3 1/2" squares from white Quilt Town fabric or your accent fabric.

This includes a 1/4" seam allowance.

* From your scrap Quilt Town fabrics rotary cut 2 strips 3.5 x 10" then subcut into 3.5 x 3.5 squares.

* Repeat same method with 2nd scrap piece of Quilt Town fabric.

You will now have the 8 squares to make Party Points from your Quilt Town fabric :-)

* Make 8 Party Points per instructions on previous posts. Same method every time :-)

* From Yellow Quilt Town fabric...rotary cut 4 squares 3.5 x 3.5 to make 4 Party Points.

* With right sides 2gether pin "Party Points" to left side of white squares with right sides 2gether leaving a 1/4" on each side of Party Point. See pic below.

* Sew a "top stitch" using a scant 1/4" seam to secure Party Point to background fabric



Repeat for all 12 Party points.

* Per design...sew 3squares with right sides 2geher using a 1/4" seam allowance rotating the fabric of Party Points forming a row. Press.

* Repeat same method for all 4 party-point borders.


Making Corner squares...

Per each corner square...

* Rotary cut 2 white squares 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 and 2 yellow squares 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. 

* Following design....sew 1 white square to 1 yellow square with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Finger press.

* Sew one yellow square to white square using same method as above. See pic below.

* Position the squares per design w/ right sides 2gehter using a 1/4" seam allowance forming one 4 square block. Press.

* Block will be a bit oversized. Now using a ruler square up to a 4 x 4" square. See pic below.

Note:  position lines on ruler in center of block to trim around block evenly. A spinning mat is great for this method then you don't need to reposition ruler while rotary cutting :-) less-stress-quilting!

* Repeat same method as above for all corner squares. Rotate the fabric squares per design when sewing.

Yes, you can totally make four 4" squares from accent fabric, but this is a small project to try new fun techniques. 



Lay out your squares within the center block making sure all "Party-Point" are going in the right direction and corner blocks per design. 


You did it!!! You just complete Phase 1 of this super cute soon 2b pillow slip :-)

Check back soon for Phase 2!

Talk soon,

Cat






No comments:

Post a Comment