Friday, September 8, 2023

"Party-Point Celebration Runner"...Phase 2

 Hey quilter's....hope y'all are having a great Friday. My day started with the sweetest "birthday box" from my daughter's family. It was filled with "60" of my favorite items :-) Yes...the big 60 this weekend. Oh my gosh...it really doesn't seem possible. It was o.k. celebrating with my daughter a few weeks ago because she turned 40...and in my mind it made me a 100 for some odd reason! Well in the box was coffee....oodles of snacks...fun magazine...the sweetest card and then a really special card from my grandson. It stated don't look at it as being 60...think of it as 6 perfect 10's. Oh my gosh...it made me cry!!! Well,,,I'm not going to preach about this crazy weather we're having but....I am going to say cherish every moment you can because time really does fly by too fast! Oh another birthday note....I hope you've had a chance to check out Missouri Star Quilt Company story on their website and hopefully found some items you love. I've had a blast sewing with the "Quiilt Town" fabrics. The colors are stunning and coordinates perfectly with my home decor. This phase all depends on how you want to finish your runner. I for one am taking my town doing some fun accent quilting within the individual squares with my Baby Lock Jazz II. Nothing fancy but it helps me get to know my "Birthday present." Yes...I bought it last month from our local dealer because I wanted a machine that had a 12" throat space. The Jazz II is super simple to use and is perfect for domestic quilting. I will be showing some tips later, but I want you to get ready to do your own spin on the runner. I mentioned previously that you don't need any backing fabric. Maybe by now you've realized what I've done....I use 3 of the 10 x 10" squares from the Quilt Town pkg. for my backing. I did purposely design the runner with this in mind to use as many squares as possible. I for one get excited when I don't waste fabric or money. Plus doing small projects gives you a chance to use those fabric pieces and get more creative as well. I thank y'all so much for following and stay tuned for more "fun-ctional" designs using Quilt town fabrics. So...let's get quilting & have some fun!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

Here's all you do...

* Pick 3 of the 10 x 10" squares of your choice and sew vertically with right sides 2gether using a 1/4 " seam allowance. Press seams. 


Border/Binding...

Note: instructions below are using your "Quilt Town accent fabric"

* Rotary cut 2 strips 2 x 10 & sew to top/bottom of runner w/right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

* Rotary cut 2 strips 2 x 33 & sew to left/right side of runner w/ right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

* Rotary cut your light-weight batting to 11 x 30. Remember you have extra border width due to the border/binding fold we do later :-)

* Layer...Top facing down...then batting & backing facing up (you) :-)

* Carefully turn over and starting at top using quilting pins to secure all 3 layers together to secure.

Tip;..

* I start at the top of runner and use quilting pins within the blocks outline and smooth the fabric as I'm pinning all the way to the end of runner. 

* This is also the same way as I quilt the runner removing the pins as I go. This allows me to smooth any fabric as I'm quilting if needed. 

I did accent quilting within each part of the block at first. This gave me the chance to look at it and then decide if I wanted to add more quilting detail within each block. With my back my quilting time is limited but that's fine...remember "we don't give up on what we love...we just do it in moderation" ;-)
Right? Thread and fabric therapy!

Now have fun quilting your runner...put your own spin on it...play with those threads...get creative. I'll be sharing some pics of the simple but fun way I accented around the "Party Points" & the individual squares....nothing fancy but I'm pleased :-)

Once you have completed your quilting then follow the border/binding steps below :-)

Note...if you decide not to quilt your runner then just finish it with my border/binding/technique.

* Trim away any access batting.

* Starting at top...Fold over border to back leaving a 1/4" seam binding on front. 

* Fold in half...finger press...fold in half again to have a finished fold on back. Pin or clip to secure.

* Top stitch on front of runner or quilt in the ditch to secure.

* Repeat same steps for bottom of runner then left/right side.

* This will give you a 1/4" binding around your runner. 

I hope you enjoyed making this runner with me & Chuck. 

Check back soon for more fun projects. 

Chucks been a busy boy and we can't wait to share more projects with y'all!

Talk soon,
Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment