Sunday, September 17, 2023

"T-Shirt 2 Wall Decor" Phase 1

 Hey quilter's....hope y'all are having a relaxing weekend. I've been slowly working on my next project featuring the Quilt Town 10 x 10" sq's by Missouri Star Quilt Company. I've always wanted a "sewing machine" design in my quilt room but some of the patterns are a bit daunting. I was thrilled when i saw the "Quilters are Piecemakers" T-shirt by Missouri Star Quilt co. Oh my gosh...it was perfect...the sewing machine design on their T-shirt was perfect plus it complements the Quilt Town fabrics. What a way to celebrate MSQC 15th yr. Birthday Bash with a "wall decor" for your sewing/quilting room. I gave y'all a "heads up" a few days ago so you could order your T-Shirt. If you still need one the discount link is still valid until the end of September (1 x use). I had so much fun with this design. Of course, I had to add my "Party-Points" to celebrate their 15th yr. anniversary :-) I also "fussy cut" squares from the Quilt Town fabrics for the borders. You could definitely rotary cut a solid piece of fabric for the borders if desired. I wanted to showcase that stunning fabric collection as much as possible plus a great way to use those scraps too! For me it's a great way to "celebrate" Missouri Star Quilt Co. anniversary with them even if we can't go to the "Big Birthday Bash" happening soon! I do fully recommend the T-Shirt Pressing cloth for this project. Also, I did not wash my T-Shirt first. Not sure if that matters or not but wanted to state that to y'all. Just remember not to "stress" when sewing a T-Shirt to fabric. It will get "wonky" at times. You just need to Square up if needed. I know a lot of people stray from doing T-shirt quilts but when you use the Lightweight stabilizer it helps with keeping the T-shirt from stretching a lot. :-) I just love how their T-Shirt design did all the "block piecing" for me. What a fun-ctional project using those Quilt Town 10 x 10" squares! Remember if you're dealing with pain issues like me just take your time...do things in moderation. Just keep doing what you love. I do projects in "phases" because of my back issues, and it also helps y'all to "catch up" when you can as well. I thank y'all so much for following a long with me & check back for more "fun-ctional" projects using the Quilt Town fabric collection. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest

Cooking blog: www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com (easy & healthy recipes)

15% discount ( 1 x use) until September 3oth

https://glnk.io/mzmmj/ihearditthroughthequiltvine (link in upper right of blog)

Paid partnership w/ MSQC



Note...all supplies can be purchased from Missouri Star Quilt Company website.

Here's all you need...

* Missouri Star Quilt Company T-Shirt

* Quilt Town 10 x 10" squares by MSQC (you may already purchased for the "Pary Point Celebration Runner" :-)

* Coordinating thread hues

* T-Shirt Pressing cloth

* Lightweight fusible stabilizer

* Additional pressing cloth (if you use my technique) 

* Backing fabric (roughly 1/2 yrd. or to your design)

* Light weight batting

Here's all you do...

* Press your T-shirt with T-shirt pressing sheet following manufacturer's directions.

* Place a "ruler" within the center of your T-shirt to get idea of your desired square.

Note: my center is roughly 11 x 12.5 so instructions are to accommodate my T-shirt center. Adjust the instructions to accommodate your center if needed. Just remember to allow for your 1/4" seams ;-)

* Add a "inch" to that overall size. This gives extra stability to T-shirt when you rotary cut later.

* Rotary cut your lightweight fusible stabilizer to that size or larger if you prefer.

* Turn T-shirt inside out. Place on wool ironing mat.

* Tip: insert the T-shirt pressing cloth inside your T-shirt centered within design. This will help protect your T-shirt design from the heat of your iron when fusing the lightweight stabilizer. Trust me :-)

* Fuse the lightweight fusible stabilizer to the back of your T-shirt design using a pressing sheet following manufacturer's directions.

* Rotary cut your T-shirt to your desired square (add your 1/4" seam allowance)

* Save the T-shirt scraps....great for cleaning :-)

Tip;   Pic below is why I love the T-Shirt pressing cloth. You can "see" the design when ironing :-) It's also great when you are ironing any garments that need protection when ironing! Always test an area first to make sure before ironing & follow manufacturer's directions :-)

Left Border...

Note: I used a ruler to "fussy cut" border squares. Notice your pattern direction before cutting.

*  Rotary cut 7 ( 2.5 x 2/5) squares (includes a 1/4" seam allowance) 

I gave mine a "scrappy look" so I could use that fun-ctional Quilt Town fabrics ;-)

* Following design sew squares with right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Press seams ( set aside)

Bottom Border...

* Rotary cut 5 ( 2.5 x 2.5) squares following same method as above.

Note:  remember your pattern direction when piecing squares.

Right "Party-Point" Border...

* Rotary cut 7 squares from white fabric or ( your accent fabric) to 4 x 2.5 (includes 1/4" seam allowance)

* Rotary cut 7 squares 3.5 x 3.5 of accent fabric for "Party-Points"

* Press your square in half on diagonal...press in half again from corner to corner. Fun & easy :-)


* Sew your Party-Points to white fabric with right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Repeat for all 7 squares. This will stabilize your "Party-Points" when sewing squares 2gether.

* Following design...sew all 7 squares 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. 

* Press


Note: I reccommend using your T-shirt pressing cloth when adding borders to your T-shirt to protect design from heat.

Also...you may need to "tweek" your T-shirt square or borders to fit just in case any stretching occurred. I had to take about an 1/8" off my T-shirt to accommodate the borders....no stress...it will all come together :-)

Following design sew borders as follows...

* Sew Bottom border to T-shirt square with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press & square up if needed.

* Sew Left border to left side of T-shirt square using same method as above.

* Sew Right "Prairie Point Border" to right side of T-shirt square using same method as above

Well, you did it! You finished Phase 1 of your 'Fun-ctional Wall decor" :-)

Check back soon for Phase 2.

Talk soon,
Cat







No comments:

Post a Comment