Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Scrap...Crackle...Pop! ..."The Story behind the Technique"

 Hey Quilter's.....I;m so excited to share this technique & how it came about. A few years ago, my sweet Grandson Davin gave me a "quilt block" for Christmas of a "fish" he drew in his art class. Oh my gosh, have to say, "the sweetest gift ever!" (pic below) But here's the funny..."he told me to make whatever I wanted too with his block...a pillow...wall hanging...just get creative...Gege." At first, I was excited then the pressure came about of how I was going to compliment his creativity. He always shines with his art and sports, so I knew that whatever I did needed to be awesome, like him! I started pulling my "scraps" to compliment his design and thought of our special memories of going to the beach in Texas. Living away has been difficult for me and I had no idea of how this "technique" would be so "therapeutic." I love scrap quilts & half-square triangles, so I combined my 2 fav's and started playing. So I started "scrapin'" my half-square triangles. The Batiks from Hoffman Fabrics allowed me to achieve the "ocean" of how the water hues stagger as you go deeper. I had only one block, so I didn't want to take away from his design or quilt on his block so I "crazy stitched" each individual square with Aurifil thread 50 weight. I love how the thread enhanced the color hues in the Batiks. This technique allows you to create a design that "no 2 blocks are the same1" It's amazing of how just piecing scraps 2gether with the half-square triangle technique become so "therapeutic and rewarding. "You normally would achieve this design through paper-piecing. Later on, this technique helped me overcome some of my biggest obstacles in life...retiring early due to health problems was not in the plan. I have a bone & muscle disorder and side effects from medicine has been challenging. Everyday tasks became a challenge...depression & anxiety set in. I knew something had to help me take my mind off the negative. I resorted back to this technique of how therapeutic it was. This is how "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!" came about. Little did I know that a sweet gift from my grandson would help me get through some of challenges in my life. My goal is to introduce this technique and hopefully help other's that might be going through a similar situation w/"Thread & fabric therapy." So, lets get Scrapin'!

Follow on blog for "Scrap...Crackle...Pop! I will feature as a "scrap-a-long" in Phases with easy techniques/tips along the way w/ an advanced "scrappy border." Come join the fun!

 Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook, Pinterest & Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine






No comments:

Post a Comment