Thursday, August 11, 2022

Scrap...Crackle...Pop! "Scrap-a-long" Phase 3

 Hey quilter's...hope all is going well and you're enjoying this scrap-a-long. I love a scrap design that is versatile, so I'll be sharing some smaller projects soon using the same technique. We're already in August which seems crazy for me, and some "mini scrap gifts" would be great for the Holiday's. So, keep following for small projects soon. If you're like me, you're probably ready for some "rotary cutting therapy" by now. There is nothing more rewarding than to take "scrap fabric" and rotary cut into squares. I feel rewarded re-purposing something that usually gets thrown away but not here on this "scrap-a-long!" In this phase we'll be piecing our 3 1/2" half-square triangle blocks and getting ready for phase 4 of sewing squares 2gether. This is why my "tip" of printing out the design is so useful at this stage. You can reflect on design to make sure your fabric choices are the same before rotary cutting/piecing 2gether. Thanks again for following & please share this scrap-a-long w/others. My goal is to help others with thread & fabric therapy. So, let's get scrapin'!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook, Pinterest & Instagram @ihearditthroughthequilt-vine.blogspot.com

Note: If you have any q's for me, please leave in the comment section & I'll do my best to help :-)

For 3 1/2 " accent half-square triangles.

Here's all you do...

*Press your scraps first.

*Rotary cut your dark fabric to 3 7/8 square's (total of 6)

Tip: this is the same dark fabric used in previous 6" block (per design) 

Remember using scraps your fabric will stretch a bit.

*Rotary cut your medium-colored fabric to 3 7/8 squares (total of 6)

*Now using the same method in previous post for half-square triangles, make a total of 12 half-sqauare accent triangles. (per design)

Tip: I'm not a "fan" of a 7/8 cut, especially using scraps due to the stretch so I rotary cut my squares to 4" and then after the half-square triangle technique, I press and "square-up" with a ruler to a 3 1/2" block. You know me less-stress-quilting!
 

For 3 1/2 " solid accent squares...(scrappy background)

Here's all you do...

* Press your scraps...

*Rotary cut 18 of your light fabric into 3 1/2 " squares. 

*Rotary cut 24 of your medium fabric into 3 1/2" squares.

This will give you the "scrappy background" when piecing 2gether later. 

Now the fun begins...per pic below...layout your blocks

This part is "so rewarding".... step back & look at what all you achieved so far & no two blocks are the same :-)

Now you should have the following total of squares before we start sewing 2gether.

(3) 6 1/2 x 6 1/2" scrappy triangle squares

(6) 3 1/2 x 3 1/2" scrappy quarter-square triangles

(12) 3 1/2" half-square triangles

(18) 3 1/2" light fabric accent squares

(24) 3 1/2" medium fabric accent squares


You don't need to be as O.C.D as me but it does help :-)

See ya back soon for Phase 4...when we'll have some "sewing therapy" this part is exciting!







No comments:

Post a Comment