Saturday, May 28, 2022

Cats "Scrapin' a-play-que Series"...Scrapin' Summer Tote Phase 2

 Hey quilter's...hope your weekend is going well. Mine is "fixing 2" get heated up with some pancakes with my grandson. I love this time with him...these moments are so special to us both that we're re-creating his favorite recipes that I make into a cookbook. Time does fly to fast...he just graduated 5th gr. & now going into Middle School. He'll be off to college before we know it & he said that he'd like my recipes to have when he's cooking away at school. Honestly, besides all his quilts that I've made & still working on this was like getting a "warm & fuzzy lifetime hug." :-) My dad's recent passing taught me to never take a day for granted. If you've read a previous post, you'll know how my Scrapin' Series was inspired by my dad. What better way to honor him & make my family happy as well. Win..win :-) Well today's Phase will have you piecing your "pocket" 2gether...so let's get started!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Pinterest & Facebook

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Here's all you do...

*Layer your backing fabric (face up)...then batting then top fabric (the one you just designed) facing down! Exclamation mark for a reason...I've made many of "oopsies",,,,love my Seam Ripper!

Tip...following same direction on previous post of "quillow"...

*Mark 3" opening (larger if desired...you'll be top stitching opening later...so whatever your comfortable with for easier turning later)

*Using your ruler lightly mark a 1/2 seam allowance all around your square/block...this is your stitching guide (remember do not sew on your opening :-)

*Set your machine to desired straight stitch length & sew on marked line...reinforcing (back stitch) at your start/stop points.

*Reinforce your seam by using your presser foot as a guide & sew a 1/4" seam...this is a great tip & well worth the extra time to strengthen your square. :-)

Tip...below shows how I used "clips" to help me remember not to sew my opening...yes I do use those clips a "different color" then ones around the square...I know my O.C.D. ..."Only Cat Does"...but it works! :-)


* Now get ready for the fun part...carefully turn your block inside out...at this point your batting should be in the inside...your backing fabric on outside and your design facing you :-)
*Fold in your opening even with your block seam (finger press)
*Press your block if needed...sometimes it gets a little wrinkly when turning.

Tip...you can use the "eraser tip" of a pencil to carefully poke out the corners :-)

* Now "top Stitch" a 1/4" seam around your block...this will close your opening!
*Quilt your block as desired. Get creatice & have fun...:-)

Tip...I outline quilted around the leaves..."pivot" at ends of leaves.by "raising your presser foot"  turn your block around as needed then lower your presser foot and start again....use a stitch length that you are comfortable with & take your time...no quilt police on this blog...#less-stress-quilting!

Have fun & see you back for Phase 3 :-)



 



No comments:

Post a Comment