Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Cats "Scrapin a-play-que Series" Beach Towel Quillow- Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are doing great & ready to start your "beach towel quillow." I've been having a blast with mine so far...mostly because I love how my Aurifil thread compliments my scrap fabrics of Michael Miller Fairy Frost fabrics so well. It's wonderful when you don't have to buy anything and you're using up some scraps! This "a-play-que" project is so easy & you'll be learning "raw edge applique" along with my easy technique of monograming your block if desired. Of course, you could buy some iron on letters, but you already have the fabric...heatnbond lite & that's pretty much all you'll need. I'll be listing in order below of how I started the project or "block size." For me, that was probably the most important part cause I wanted the beach towel to fit into the block without struggling. You can "google" a "quillow" to get an idea oh how you fold it all into the pillow forming the "quillow." Someone was pretty clever back in the day! Also, after you decide on your block size and your design then you're going to use the heatnbond lite to fuse on the fabric strips & trace your patterns. This phase has a few steps but it's fun & easy. Sew let's get ready to have fun & "a-play-que" 2gether!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Here's all you do...


*Determine the size of your block by either dividing the width of your beach towel into thirds or do a "mock block" like I did above and see if your towel actually folds into it easily. I determined to make mine a bit larger cause I didn't want it to be so tight. Once you have determined your block size then add a 1" to that to allow for your 1/2 seam allowance.
*Rotary cut your Top Fabric, Back Fabric & Batting to that size.
Example...my block will be 13w x 11 tall so I cut 14w x 12 tall

Next Step...

*Rotary cut your accent fabrics into strips of the size of your largest template your using.(see pic)
* Rotary cut your heatnbond lite that same size minus about an 1/8 less...this allows less mess on your iron when fusing to your fabic (and iron) ;-)
*Fuse following manufactures directions the heatnbond lite to the "wrong side" of your accent fabric. 
*On paper side...using a pencil...trace around your template 
* With your scissors...carefully cut around your templates but don't peel back the paper.
Tip...

If you are positioning your templates a certain direction like my "mermaids" you will need to remember to reverse (flip over) your template to achieve the correct direction on your fabric. You can see how I positioned my mermaids going different directions in a circle. This tip allowed me to use one template different ways :-)

Next...


* With your top fabric piece...Layout your pieces within an inch of all sides (sewing allowance) & get creative! Pic above shows of how I used different size cookie cutters to have fun! Remember this is your project so get as creative designing your block as you wish!
*Then peel off the paper backing and re-position back on the fabric.
*Using your "pressing sheet" on top of your fabric carefully fuse pieces together following manufactures direction on heatnbond lite with your iron. This just takes a few seconds so don't hold your fabric long in one spot :-)
*Tip...I have one iron strikly for my applique & craft projects. May sound a bit O.C.D. (only Cat does) but I have ruined expensive fabrics by having glue seepage on my iron (why I always use a pressing sheet) but it still can happen.

Now take a look at your wonderful block you just created & get ready for the next step...
"a-play-que" ....so gather your coordinating threads! Talk soon!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment