Friday, May 20, 2022

"A little Seam Ripper Humor"...20 yrs. later!

 Hey quilter's....it's finally Friday & hope y'all have plans to relax a bit anyway. It's that crazy time of year...end of school activities...awards, etc. I have to share this...this will probably go out to anyone that has taught a child to sew or quilt. Sometimes I tend to forget of how "terrifying" ripping out seams can be for someone that is just learning to sew. I mean...for me...the "seam ripper" is my best friend in my sewing/quilting room. I'd be lost without it! But...in this case...20 yrs ago...I was teaching 4-H sewing and one of my kids which happens to be my best friends daughter had a mishap with a skirt pattern. It involved pockets...need I say more. Yes...not going to say more just in case she's reading this post :-) Well...first of all if I could go back in time I probably should have had a little bit more "compassion" when I brought out the "seam ripper." It's so natural to me...you make a mistake...you rip it out...and continue. I had no idea of how much of an impact that I was going to "scare" her with! Needless to say, twenty yrs. later every time we see each other the "seam ripper" comes into the conversation & not in a good way. She tells me I scared her for life...she'll never sew again...and I seriously believe she's telling me the truth. We are laughing as we're "reminiscing" but I feel horrible to this day. All I can say is "it's a good thing we love each other!" So I did learn from this...when I do help/teach someone...I do have a bit more compassion of explaining  to them before I rip their "hard working project ." Well...here's the humor...after all these years of other fun memories our families have shared together....for some dreadful reason....we always managed to go back to the "seam ripper moment." And yes...to this day...I'm still trying to get her behind a sewing machine again...20 yrs. later it still hasn't happened. But....I'm not giving up...she has 2 beautiful & talented daughter's & I'm hoping that I can at least teach them to sew or maybe when they have kiddos...Hmmm....we'll see...positive thoughts! :-) To this day...for me...when I break out the seam ripper... I still remember that dreadful moment of making a child that you love so much cry. Oh my goodness :-)

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment