Thursday, May 12, 2022

Cats "Scrapin' a-play-que Series"...Beach Towel Quillow

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is going great and you're ready to have some fun! I'm kick-starting my "Scrapin' a-play-que Series" with a fun & easy project. It's a "throwback" to the old pillow quilt concept that we all did probably as a first-time quilter. I've made many "quillows" and still use several to this day! They are so convenient and make gifts, but I wanted to do something a bit easier & make it a summer fun project as well. This project will feature one of my applique techniques that will be featured later in a quilt. I'll be showing you techniques for fun/easy piecing & less-stress-quilting techniques. School is almost out & what better way to teach a child how to sew and quilt on a small scale. You won't need much for this easy project which helps to keep the cost low especially if you're giving as a gift. I'm using a "Mermaid Vibes" Beach Towel to kick-off the summer fun. So listed below are the items you'll need to get started...so go shopping or use a beach towel you already have...grab coordinating scrap fabric & thread. I love 50# AURifil thread for pretty much all my projects. So many color hues to choose from and on a previous post you can see how wonderful the thread compliments my scrap fabric of Michael Miller Fairy Frost. I'll be using the same fabric and thread for the quillow design which will also give you a sneak peak of the easy techniques used on the next project in this series. So grab your supplies & lets get ready to "a-play-que" 2gether this summer! 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com


Here's what you'll need...

*Beach Towel

* 2 Fat quarters or scraps large enough for the front & back size of your pillow.

* Coordinating thread (AURifil thread...wink,,,wink)

*Batting to accommodate the size of your pillow ( I love Warm & Natural-needled cotton batting)

*Lightweight Stabilizer ( I love Sulky Tear-Away when I applique)

*Heat n Bond Lite & Rotary Cutter

*Cookie Cutters or templates if you do a design like I'll be teaching on the front of your pillow.

* Any embellishments that your heart desires to personalize your quillow. This is when you raid the craft room...with the owners permission of course :-)

Hint...I'll be using a 28 x 60" beach towel and making a 13x11 pillow form but adding a 1'' extra all around for a 1/2" seam allowance. This might give you an idea of how much fabric you need. It all depends on the size of how big you want your pillow to be as you fold the beach towel into it for convenient storage. Plus the open pillow later becomes a great storage pocket for snacks and items you don't want blowing sway on those windy beach days. 

Sew check back soon for my "a-play-que" techniques & instructions!


No comments:

Post a Comment