Thursday, May 19, 2022

Cats "Scrapin' a-play-que Series" Phase 3...Finishing your Beach Towel Quillow :-)

 Hey quilter's...hope all is going well & hope you've been having fun with this project thus far. In this phase you'll be finishing up your "Beach Towel Quillow." I've had so much fun with this project that I'll be making some more for upcoming birthday gifts. I'll be "walking" you through these final "steps" with pics that I hope will give you the visual of what I'm saying :-) As a designer, my mind to fingers to computer tend to get a bit crazy so I'll make this as easy as possible. I'm going to show how I make the "quillow", but you can always "google" the instructions if mine don't make sense :-) I hope you've enjoyed this project and continue to follow along on blog this summer for some more fun & easy "a-play-que" series. Remember...I'm all about "less-stress-quilting"...so continue to be creative and get ready to have a fun summer 2gether!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Here's all you do...

*Layer your batting piece...then back fabric piece up (facing you)...then top fabric facing down.

*Using a ruler trace a 1/2" seam around your block but mark an opening of at least 3" that you will not sew....this will be your opening for turning inside/out.


*Now sew your seam on that line...reinforcing as you start & stop...remember to leave 3" opening :-)
*Then following that seam...sew a 1/4" seam allowance around your block which creates a "double seam for reinforcement"...again don't stitch opening :-)

*Now carefully turn your block inside out...finger press if needed and tuck in your opening seam...finger press & top stitch around your block to secure opening shut & to reinforce your block as well. 
*Press block if needed & this is the time to quilt your block as desired. I quilted around the "mermaids" to make them pop. Get creative & have fun!
*Now you will be placing your block onto your beach towel by positioning on the "right side/bottom" of your towel. Pin into place but leave the bottom side of your block opened...do not sew this area...this is where you will be inserting your towel into. Stitch around reinforcing at your start & start position as you did earlier...I used clips to remind me not to see the opening :-)

*Now get ready to fold...Flip towel to wrong side...fold one side in aligning with block...then the other side...then fold into small sections.

*Now hold the opening with one hand & insert your folded towel into it. Smooth out as needed.

You did it! You made your first "Beach Towel Quillow"...but have you noticed that you also have an extra "secret area" to store your snacks or whatever you take to the beach or pool. How fun is that! If your giving as a gift you could totally personalize this compartment! :-) Stay tuned for more "Scrapin a-play-que" projects this summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment