Thursday, May 26, 2022

Cats "Scrapin a-play-que Series"...Scrapin' Summer Tote... Phase 1

 Hey quilter's....hope your week is going well. I just had the pleasure of seeing my grandson Davin graduate 5th grade. I'm always proud of him but seeing him receive an award for all A's was amazing. This is one proud "Gege.". A part of me is sad for enjoying this special moment knowing what other parents are going through in Texas. I always pray every morning for my family/friends safety to and from work. This week solidifies of how family time is so special. Not to take any situation for granted. Be blessed with every moment you have with your loved ones. Children have always held a soft spot in my heart. I've been a 4-H leader...helped with many functions....even as a designer I still love to teach children the art of sewing and quilting. Children are our future and my heart aches for their loss so early in life. My summer scrapin' series is geared towards a beginner sewer/quilter & especially now to have that quality time with your child. If you have a child in your neighborhood that you know needs some extra care this series would be a great way to make them feel good...not every child has the opportunity to be taught by an adult. So help spread the love of sewing/quilting this summer to a child. I'll be walking you through the steps so you'll be able to be in the comfort of your home as well. So let's get started in bringing some joy into these kiddos hearts!

Blessed Quilting from My home to yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Here's all you do...

*decide on the size of your pocket...I sketched my design on a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper then actually decided to use it for the size. It was perfect for this size bag. I then used "leaf cookie cutters" that I traced around for my design. Or get creative and "freehand" your art...as you can see I even changed my design later...no quilt police here so .get creative & have fun!

*In pic you can see that I marked a 1/2" seam allowance all around the block but also left the 3" opening at top for turning inside/out. 


*Now rotary cut your "pocket size" (remember add your 1'' for seam allowance) for your front fabric/back piece & batting.

*Rotary cut your accent fabric strips & fuse your heatnbond lite to wrong side following manufacturer's directions. (see previous instructions on quillow if needed)

*With scissors cut out your designs & again practice your layout on your front piece of fabric.


Pic is of my "design assistant approving my new layout"....hmmm...so I thought!

Turned my back & this happened...maybe he like the original design :-(...gotta love a cat!

*Once you've completed your layout as desired...then tear off the back paper & fuse to your fabric following manufacturer's directions.

Tip...remember to use your "pressing sheet" for less mess :-)

*Now your ready to "a-play-que" your design  w/coordinating Aurifil thread. Play with your machine stitches....get creative but most of all have fun!

Tip...use a piece of "Sulky tear-away" stabilizer on the back of fabric before you start to "a-play-que" This will help with neater stitches & maneuvering around your design as well. 


Check back soon for Phase 2 :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment