Thursday, July 29, 2021

Scrapin w/Cat..."Aurifil thread scraps 2 Aurifil Art!"

 Hey quilter's hope y'all are having a great week. I've been trying the quilting trend of Quilt Art. I recently finished a wall quilt and had loose ends of Aurifil threads. (see pic) My machine does not have an automatic thread cutter and I hate to "throw away" the scraps of thread. My "scrap threads" had a pretty hue all in a pile and all I could invision was "Blue Coral." This project is very "theraputic" especially for me doing things a little bit at a time. I designed this to be more "wall art" so doing a border with my scraps of "wood grain fabric" gave it the look of a "wood frame." I used Insul-Bright for the batting due to it's stiffness for hanging. I did not "quilt" over the thread as some quilt art is due to wanting a 3-D design with the coral. This is the first project of my "Coastal Wall Art" & you know me....it's not perfect but "being imperfect if perfect" for me! :-) I hope you save your "thread scraps" & have fun creating your own "thread art." Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

email q's cmhdesigns2@yahoo.com

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

 www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

 

                                                 

Here's all you need...

Sraps of Aurifil 50 weight 2710, 1320, 4093, 4663, 1126.

Scraps of Hoffman Batik #2670 (Frost) rotary cut to 7 x 7

Scrap of Wood Grain Fabric for back...rotaty cut to 9 1/2 x 9 1/2

Insul-Bright...rotary cut to 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 

Scraps for borders/binding (instructions for cutting below)

Fabric glue

Shells or your desired decor

Here's all you do...

Rotary cut strips of your desired "first border" to 1 X 7 1/2, 1 x 7 3/4, 1 x 8, 1 x 8. 

Using the "log cabin method" and right sides together, sewing with a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the first strip to bottom of block....press & trim as needed.

Then sew the second 1 x 7 3/4) strip to left side of block using same method as above.

Next third strip (1 x 8) to top of block, using same method.

Last sew right side strip ( 1 x 8 )....same method and press when needed. 

Rotary cut strips of wood grain fabric for border/binding using the same "log cabin method" and sew as above. This will form your "picture frame look." See pic.

2 1/2 x 8 (bottom), 2 1/2 x 10 (left), 2 1/2 x 10 (top), 2 1/2 x 12 (right)

Press and your square should finish out approximately 12 x 12 (machines tend to be different)


Now place your back piece of fabric (front side down)
Then your insul-bright
Next your front square on top.
Using the same "log cabin method) fold over your bottom edge to back a 1/4...finger press and use clips or pin in place once you achieve about a inch border on front side. 
Then do the same with left side of block....then top of block and then right side.
Once you have the "picture frame as desired" then sew in the "ditch" on front of block around borders to catch seam from front to back. You can also use a "zig zag" stitch so you don't need to be so precise.
Remember...being "imperfect is perfect"...no stress...do what you are comfortable with. 
Once this is complete you may "notice" certain parts of seam did not catch on the back side of block, well no worries...this is why we have "fabric glue"....use as needed....it's wall art so we're not washing it :-)
Now the fun begins....before you begin....if you have "back issues" like me, I reccommend placing your block on a small cutting board of hard surface that you can move around with if needed. This step is very theraputic but a bit time consuming so if you need to sit down this tip will help :-) 
Now depending on your design....start spreading the "scraps of threads" to your desired design. I love blue coral and tried so hard to accomplish the look of coral moving throughout the ocean. Once I did achieve my desired design, I then used touches of "fabric glue" to hold threads in place. Use your desired method. 
Hang as desired.
Remember....have fun....no stress & "being imperfect is perfect" :-)

Keep following for my "Coastal Designs"






No comments:

Post a Comment