Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Jelly Roll Strips 2a Sewing Machine Cover! Phase 1

Hey quilter's...hope you're having a great week. I know some of you are getting some fall weather. I'm one of those goofy people that do pumpkin bread all year and love pumpkin spice anything. But will admit it does taste a bit better when it is fall. I am excited to share this left-over Jelly Roll Sewing Machine Cover with y'all. The design was inspired by the drapes made from an old quilt top in my previous post. I love how fabric inspires your creatitity. Sometimes the designs...color hues just spark an idea/project that I can't wait to start. I especially love using up scraps. If you like "Jelly Rolls" like I do then you know how much fun they are to use. The "Old Glory" jelly roll designed by Lella Boutique for Moda matched my old quilt top perfectly. So of course this was a "no brainer" to make the well needed sewing machine cover. I have a sewing machine table in front of a window. Probably not the smartest but I love to sew and peek out the window at birds etc. It's very therapeutic for me. But along with that comes with the sun. So this is a fun & easy project for our "back to school...sewing room re-do." I love this fabric collection so much that I evern incorporated the "selvages" in the design! If you don't have left-over Jelly roll strips you can always rotary cut fabric strips 2 1/2" x your desired length. But will mention Missouri Star Quilt Company has a lot of Jelly roll inspiration and fun sales going on this month as well. My link (upper right) on home page will take you directly to their webiste. Also check out their daily deals and inspirational tutorials too. We don't have an affiliate discount to share this month due to all the exciting daily deals that are happening and especially follow their 16th Birthday Bash. Lots of fun & exciting times during the month of September. So keep following...you never know what I might be sharing with Missouri Star Quilt Company :-) Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links on right of home page)

Jelly Roll Sewing Machine Cover...


Here's all you do...

* Measure you sewing machine (width/length) plus extra for quilting allowance.

* Rotary cut your strips in random pieces for a more scrappy design like I did or do a solid strips.

Note...Jelly Rolls strips finish to a 2" width after sewing w/a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Sew strips with right side together in vertical strips to you achieve your desired width/length.

* Finger press as you go then press when finished.

* Square up to your desired width/length.




Border/Binding....

* Rotary cut your strips 1 1/2" by your top/bottom width...sew w/right sides together...press.

* Rotary cut your strips 1 1/2" by your left/right length...sew as above ...press.

Tip...scrap fabric is great for this step...I use my scraps from Missouri Star Quilt Companys White Missouri Tossed Star. Complimented the fabric great :-)

Quilting....

* Rotary cut your backing fabric...batting to your sewing machine cover size. 

* Layer....backing fabric right side facing down...batting...then quilt top.

* Pin or clip to secure.

* Quilt as desired.

Note...I did a 1/4" accent quilting. This is a fun small project so it's a great time to practice your straight line quilting....I still struggle sewing straight after all these years :-)

Remember...have fun...there's no sewing police in my sewing room!

Check back soon for Phase 2,

Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment