Sunday, September 15, 2024

Jelly Roll Gift Bags...100% Re-gift-able! Phase 1 (medium size)

 Hey quilter's...happy Sunday & hope you're having a great weekend. It's been a relaxing one for me for a change. I'm focusing on organizing my sewing room and downsizing items. A project that I love to do for some odd reason. When you have a "O.C.D" brain "Only Cat does" it tends to get the best of me at times. But I come in handy...my daughter loves it when I visit. She usually has a "space" that she wants re-organized and lets me "go at it." I love it & it makes her happy :-) Well I'm super excited to share this fun & easy project w/ y'all. As you know from previous post we're making "gift bags" using a "Jelly Roll" that are 100% Re-gift-able. That's right...your not only making an adorable gift bag that can be re-used but you're also re-cycling "one bag @ a time." The sweet story on previous post is how this all came about due to my grandson Davin who recycles. What I'm thrilled with this design is they are all basically made the same way...we'll be changing up the "strips" along the way & the design using Missouri Star Quilt Company's Holiday templates. But the design/sewing concept is the same. I love a project that is super easy. Don't you? I will make the instructions super easy for y'all due to it being repeative. You will see along the way of the different bags that I will state "refer back to Holiday Tree" instructions for Phase 1 & 2. Once you start making the bags you'll probably just start making them even without referring back. That's how fun & easy these super cute bags are to make :-) Plus you'll notice some exciting gift ideas that from Missouri Star Quilt Company that will fit inside. What a fun gift idea...your making a gift bag that is 100% re-gift-able plus giving a great gift to a quilter & it's super easy! I will say...these bags are sew adorable using the "Joyful Holiay" Roll-up by Robert Kaufman Fabrics that no matter what you 'stuff" inside the gift, you'll bring joy to your recipient! I thank y'all so much for following and if you need supplies my link to Missouri Star Quilt Company is on upper right of home page. Don't forget to check out their "daily deals" & "tutorials" for inspiration. Sew let's get started!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow me on...Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links on right of home page)

Jelly Roll Gift Bag "Medium 6.5 x 10")...

Here's all you do...

* Select 4 strips of "Jelly Roll" & rotary cut each in half.

Tip... I did creme...red...creme...red for contrast of tree.

* Sew w/right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Press seams to the darker fabric.

* Square up ends if needed.

* It will be roughly 8 3/4 x 22"

* Rotary cut your fusible fleese to this size and fuse to the wrong side of strip set following manufacturer's directions.

Tip...I hightly reccommend a "Pressing Cloth", I use my T-shirt "Pressing cloth from MSQC a lot :-)

Advanced step...

* This is a great time to "quilt" your bag. I did a 1/4" seam using my strips as a guide. I love a small project to practice my "straight line quilting." :-) Yes the bag is just as pretty w/out quilting but why not make it more special by adding that special touch!

* Fold bag in half  lengthwise and set aside (this gives you a guide when fusing your template design.

Holiday Tree Template design...

* Select 4 green strips ( 2 light & 2 dark)

* Subucut each 8" long.

* Sew w/right sides together...alternating fabric colors using a 1/4" seam allowance. 

* Press seams to darker fabric.

Tip...I always "double check" to make sure the template that I am using fits within the strips :-) If not just add another strip at this point. No stress in my quilting room :-)


* Rotary cut your Sew Light Fusible adhesive (I use Missouri StarQuilt Company's adhesive) Love!

to your strip size. Fuse following manufacturer's directions to wrong side of strip set. 

* On paper side....trace around template design & carefully cut out along line. 

Tip...save those scraps :-)

* Peel of paper and position template on right side (front) of your bag.

* Position within an inch of bottom of folded bag and allow for your 1/4" seam allowance on sides that you will sew later :-)

* Fuse following manufacturer's directions.

Advanced step...

* I love to give a tree a fun...modern twist by cutting diagonal lines...it's like to tree is moving a bit. All you do is draw some "squirly lines" as desired on back side...cut out on lines & position as desired on bag front using your template as a guide when positioning segments about a 1/4" apart. Then fuse. Gives bag an interesting design & it's super easy! ;-)



Chuck approved! :-) 

* A-play-que as desired around template design. Have fun,,,,get creative...:-)

Check back soon for Phase 2.

Talk soon,

Cat









No comments:

Post a Comment