Friday, August 23, 2024

Project Peek..."Quilt Top 2 Drapes"

 Hey quilter's...happy Friday! I hope y'all have fun but restful plans for the weekend. I know a lot of the kiddos are back in school and I can't wait to hear how my Grandsons week went. Hard to believe he's in 8th grade. Time sure does fly y'all. I started a serirs "Back 2 School...more time for you" w/ a sewing room re-do. In my previous post you can see the fun wall decor. Had a blast with that one...it's sew me :-) A doc told me once to not drink coffee. Yes, can you believe it? But in his defense I did cut back...ugh! The truth is, I don't sleep due to my pain levels & coffee just keeps me going. Well the second part to this fun series is very dear to me. Over ten years ago, while antique shopping in Indiana I came across this 'tattered" but stunning quilt top. I went nuts due to that is one of my passions...collecting quilt tops. The strore owner say me 'eye balling" it and she told me that it is very worn and would be impossible to quilt. Honestly at the time I thought no biggie,,,I can do it. She even preceeded to tell me that she tried and it kept shredding as she worked on it. Again...in my weird quilter's brain I was still thinking "no biggie." I put it down and walked away. Well we checked out with a few items and she then said..."you can have the quilt top for 7 bucks." What!!!!! My fat feet couldn't get over to it fast enough! My husband said "what are you going to do with it?" My reply was 'Who know's but it's mine now!" my thought was...it's all hand pieced and how many stories we're told while sewing it together. Then how did it end up in a quilt shop. How many owners...hands exchanged of people giving up on it. Was it just stuffed in a hope chest? Hoping to get quilted one day? It was pieced with so many fabrics so we're they shirts from loved ones? Oh my gosh y'all...my thoughts to this day wonder. I alway's say...if quilts could talk,,,oh the stories we would here. I know quilting with Oma was my time to hear stories of her childhood and what made her the remarkable woman she became. It's really crazy of how fabric and the art of quilting brings people together. I've carried this quilt top from Indaian...to Texas and now Florida. Seriously! :-) I tried several times to "repair/patch" and it was impossilble." The more you touched it the more it shredded. I told myself one day I will honor this quilt by making something special out of it. I know...you're thinking..."what would you do and how could you cut it up?" Yes...I couldn't cut it up...I had to cherish the design...the hard work that went into it plus I wanted to see it for inspiration. Alot of hard work went into every stitch. When you piece by hand it is time consuming plus hard. Every square was preciously pieced to perfection and that's what intrigued me from the beginning Well, needless to say with my "sewing room re-do" was the time to honor and cherish this stunning quilt. I've wanted drapes in my sewing room and I love the pattern and fabrics so I did it y'all. I actually made this adorable quilt into panels that I will cherish and hope to gift to someone one day. Her legacy or their legacy will continue on as I cherish it everyday as I'm sewing. Yes...it was hard to cut. I had to cut by hand due to it being "wonky." I used my sharp Amelia scissors by Missouri Star Quilt Company and carefully hand cut the quilt in half lengthwise. Starting Monday I will share how the process went just in case you have a "quilt top" lying around. I will admit it was a bit hard to sew with it being so delicate but I'm pleased of the outcome. Due to the strong sunlight that I get in my sewing room I will be lining the panels later. I was able to catch the Moda sale that was going on with MSQC and I ordered Moda Muslin for the lining. I will be doing a "old school trick" of "free floating" the lining due to the delicate quilt top. That is a fun technique that I will be sharing with y'all too. I've got so much to share with y'all of things that I noticed within the quilt even when I was carefully pressing. I hope this might inspire you to purchase an old "tattered" quilt top. Sometimes we do need to keep someones legacy going even if we don't even know them :-) Wishing y'all a great weekend and check back Monday of how this was sewn into drapes and the next project that was inspired from the fabric squares. As the story goes...fabrics bring people together! 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

(link upper right on home page to save 20% off $50. or more on most supplies.)

Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right)



No comments:

Post a Comment