Tuesday, January 9, 2024

"Measure Once" Wall decor or Sewing Machine Cover...Phase 1

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is off to a great start. I'm preparing for some crazy weather here so this will be short and sweet. Y'all know that I love this design by Jemima Flendt from Tied with a Ribbon. The pattern is so easy to follow and has options for the saying as well. The quality of the letters is great to applique & fabric choices are super cute. I used a few on my white fat quarters as the background to make the letters and decor pop, She is a very talented quilt designer and you can view more of her designs on her Instagram & Facebook page. The pattern can be purchased along with supplies from Missouri Star Quilt Company. If you click on my link (upper right on home page) you can save 15% (1 x use) on purchase in January. I did a "1 1/2 " grid pattern on a fat quarter and pre-quilted it before a-play-queing the design but you can totally purchase pre-quilted fabric if desired. This is a small project so it's a great time to use those quilt batting scraps. I also chose the quote "measure twice...cut once." This is what I was taught as a child and has been my method for several years. I also used the scrap pieces of the orange fabric and traced the "t" to finish the word cut. Super easy & worked for me! I'm just one step ahead of y'all on this project and loving the charm pack by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics. I'm doing a "Scrappy Charm Back" and will be sharing in Phase 2. I thank y'all so much for following and stay safe in this crazy weather we're having. Don't forget...keep those Christmas scraps handy :-) Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)

Note....supplies needed on previous post.

Here's all you do for Sewing Machine Cover...

Tip...before rotary cutting your fabric measure the "design area" for wording on the front of your machine. I'm a bit O.C.D. so I wanted to make sure the cute saying was visible when sitting on my shelf. This also helps when placing the decor and letters on fabric. Also add an extra inch to your dimension to allow for fabric shrinkage when quilting. You can always rotary cut/trim to size later if needed.

Step 1... 

* Rotary cut from 2 charm packs (or scrap fabric) to 17w x 13 1/2 L (or to your size)

* Rotary cut low-loft batting to same size.

* Mark a grid pattern with your preferred erasable pen/pencil on "right side of fabric." 

Tip...I did a 1 1/2" grid diagonally. I did not do crosswise grid due to appliqueing the letters for less bulk. Do the same if you wish. 


* Layer...backing (right side down)...batting then front fabric w/grid right side up (facing you)

* Pin or clip to secure.

* Quilt on grid lines. I did a longer stitch length for less bulk.

Tip..I started with center line & used my hands to keep fabric smooth as I'm quilting. This is fun and you may never buy pre-quilted fabric :-) 

* Once you've quilted the front them remove your marked grid lines following manufacturer's directions.

Step 2...the fun begins!

* If possible, place your block on a wool pressing mat. Position your words and decor pieces within your area as desired. Make sure you are happy with the positioning before next step.

* Following directions on Tied with a Ribbon pattern...remove backing of letters/decor and fuse per directions on pattern.

Tip...I fully recommend using a pressing sheet to protect your iron from any glue seepage. 

* Now applique around the design using your preferred applique stitch. 

Tip...I used a small stitch length to make pivoting around letters easier.

Well, you just finish the first Phase of your sewing machine cover. This is such a fun design that you may even make the wall hanging too. I think it would make a great gift for a fellow quilter :-)

Check back soon for Phase 2,

Cat








No comments:

Post a Comment