Sunday, January 28, 2024

"Havin' a "Gnome-ful Year!" ...Gnome Love!

 Hey quilter's...Sunday blessings to you. I hope y'all are having a restful weekend and possibly sneaked in something you love to do. I had a fun time finishing my "one pillow...sew many ways" gnome wrap. I love this collection by "The Whole Country Caboodle." Their designs inspired my scrap-a-long "Having a Gnome-ful year! I love to decorate my guest room for the holidays but I for one don't care to store tons of pillows. Plus, it takes up so much space. So, i decided to design a simple wrap that is easy to make plus a great space saver. I'm addicted to all the Gnome patterns for the year that you can purchase at Missouri Star Quilt Co. I knew it had to "wrap" around the accent pillow that I have on the bed. I've posted "pillow slips" before with the same concept but this is my very first "of many" wraps. I'll be sharing every month the pattern by "the Whole country Caboodle" with easy tips and advanced designs too. This months "February Gnome" is a fav already. I used my Chroma scraps designed by Deborah Edwards for Northcott Fabrics and a batik scrap for the background. The advanced technique is the scrappy border, but you can do a solid piece if desired. I love to use my scraps plus it gave the wrap a bit more personality. I also gave him a few "pink highlights" in his beard using Aurifil 50 weight thread (2588). Again, these are only tips to inspire your inner creativity. The gnome collection, patterns are pre-fused and come with easy directions too. You can pop on my link w/MSQC to save 15% if you don't already have the gnome pattern. This is just one of a fun 'scrap-a-long" that I'm hosting this year on blog. So, keep following and we'll have a great year stitching up some fun 2gether  Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Partner

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest


Here's all you need...

*Pattern "The Whole Country Caboodle"

* Sulky lightweight tear-away stabilizer for a-play-que

* Pillow (mine is from Better Homes & Gardens)

* Coordinating scrap fabric

* Coordinating thread for a-play-que

* Light-weight batting if you quilt your wrap (I did not)

* Applique pressing sheet

Here's all you do...

* Lay out gnome design per instructions on pattern. Measure to give you placement on your wrap.

Mine measure approx. 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 (I'm allowing 8" width for mine)

Note: adjust the sizes to accommodate your pillow

* Measure the "girth" of your pillow...the belly as I say :-) This will give you an idea of wrap length.


* Rotary cut your accent fabric 8 1/2 w x 32 long which allows for 1/4 " seam allowance and 3" for your wrap ends that you will later add finishing velero tabs to secure. 

* Measure area of your fabric that will be the center where you will fuse your gnome pieces. I pinned mine.

Tip...I used a ruler to line up my gnome pieces to keep it straight. :-)


* On a wool pressing mat, if possible, fuse your gnome pieces on right side of your fabric following directions on pattern. 

Tip: I use a "applique pressing sheet to protect my iron.

* Place a light-stabilizer behind the gnome design and applique as desired.

Borders...

Note: instructions are for 2 one-inch borders. Adjust if you desire larger borders.

* Rotary cut 2 fabric strips to 1 1/2 x desired length or scrap it like I did :-)

* I rotary cut my scraps 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 then alternated the fabrics for my length.

* I used a 1/4" seam allowance and just sew with right sides 2gether...finger press as you go then iron once you achieve your desired length.

* Sew your strips to wrap with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.


* Rotary cut your backing fabric to same size.

* Place with right sides 2gether and pin or clip as desired.

* Mark a 4" opening at one end for turning.

* Sew using a 1/4" seam all around and reinforce at your start and stop points.

* Carefully turn right side out. Use a point turner to press out corners if needed.

* Iron your border seams. Top stitch if desired.

* Wrap on your pillow and fold your ends to secure. Mark with a pin and add "no sew" Velcro dots following manufacturer's directions to secure your ends.

Well, you did it! You just made the "first of many" monthly holiday gnome wraps! Keep following cause the March gnome is super cute. :-) Check out all the monthly gnomes on MSQC because we'll be making them for a "Gnome-ful year 2gether!

Talk soon,

Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment