Thursday, January 11, 2024

"Measure Once Sewing Machine Cover" Phase 2 a Charm Back!

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are doing well with this weather. I've realized that I've become a wimp. I could seriously walk room to room with an electric blanket. I love cold weather if it comes with snow...for a few hours then I'm good :-) Although when the weather is a bit nippy outside then you have a great excuse to stay inside and quilt. Not that we need an excuse...right? Well, I'm excited to share with y'all Phase 2 of this super cute design by "Tied with a Ribbon." Her design is so much fun that you might make both Jemima's wall hanging or my sewing machine cover. Either one it's a great inspirational reminder for our sewing/quilting rooms. I for one need to slow down...take my time especially when rotary cutting. Once it's cut. It's cut then those "oopsies" become scraps. That's o.k. too :-) With the "back" of our sewing machine cover I used the "charm pack" designed by Tula Pink for Free Spirit Fabrics. The pattern hues complimented the pattern/kit perfectly. But here's the fun...I'll be featuring an advanced technique using the scraps from the 5" square. Thats right y'all...we'll be using every bit of that 5" square and make the fun scrappy binder along with super cute ties. After all we need to pay compliments to Jemima's design by "tying with a ribbon." Yes...you can purchase a already piece of quilted fabric but if you do...don't tell me :-) My goal always to show fun & easy techniques to spark or challenge you. I'll admit this was so much fun, so I'll be incorporating this technique into more small projects. I love it when you use all of a piece of fabric. It makes me feel like amazing not wasting anything plus I'm saving money...using it all :-) remember if you need supplies you can purchase her kit for the design by Missouri Star Quilt Company. Link on upper right of home page will take you directly to the site plus you'll save 15% on order as well. It's a (one x use) for January. As always.... I thank y'all so much for following & scrapin'-a-long w/me! Well let's gets started on finishing this super fun inspirational & functional sewing machine cover. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)

Note: remember to adjust to your size of sewing machine. Supplies needed are listed in previous post.

Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut 1 fat quarter to 17w x 12 1/4 L or to your size.

* Rotary cut backing the same.

* Now indulge in all that pretty fabric hues from the charm pack. But don't be as O.C.D. as I did. Seriously that's one of my New Year's Resolutions is to chill a bit....:-) hmmmmm.

* With each 5" square...

* Rotary cut a 3.5 a 3.5 square. This will leave you a 1.5 x 5 plus a 1.5 x 3.5 strip to set aside :-)

* Now lay out your 3.5 x 3.5 squares as desired to make rows to accommodate your desired size.

Note...I did 6 squares across and 4 rows down which allowed for my 1/4" seam allowance when sewing. You can always square up later like I did.

* Sew your squares with right sides 2gether w a 1/4" seam allowance & finger press as you go.

* Press when you've sewn all rows needed.

* Join row 1 to row 2 then to 3 etc. matching seams. See tip.

Tip: I press my seam rows in different directions for my seams to "snuggle" together when sewing.

I know a bit O.C.D. and yes maybe "Only Cat does" but if you try this simple method of first row seams pressed to the right then 2nd row press seams to the left and continue pressing opposite for as many rows needed you will see why this method is great when sewing. With all my rows I only had to "adjust" two squares :-)

* Now square up your block if needed to accommodate your sewing machine size.

* Lay backing right side down then batting & pieced block with right side up (facing you)

* Pin or clip as desired.

* Quilt as desired to secure together.

Tip: I did a "X" grid within the squares using a erasable marker. Quilted with Aurifil 50# thread.

Remember to remove the grid lines and square up if needed.

Note...don't walk away and get more coffee like I did...I actually trimmed one side twice. Ugh! But remember...quilt happens as the saying goes...continue on and ??? :-) 

* Now join your blocks 2gether (front and back)

* Sew with right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam allowance. Top stitch on front if desired and square up if needed. 

* Mine is roughly 17w x 25L (remember you have a 1/4" binding in Phase 3 to allow for which basically gives you a 1/2" on width and height once sewn to allow for your total size needs :-)

Note...due to piecing 2 squares 2gether you will have an open seam on back. This is the perks of piecing squares separately & quilting as you go. Well...a normal person would say "who care's Cat...it's the back" Right? Well. I tried folks...slept on it then my O.C.D. got the best of me. So, if you're as quirky as me then you can follow this method. I simply made a "mock" seam binding with my scraps from the fat quarter to cover the open seam as follows...

* Rotary cut to length needed x 1.5 for width.

* Press a 1/4" seam to back on each side of strip.

* Top stitch on each side of the right side of strip.

* Press and "tack" across the seam to cover. I used washable permanent fabric glue, but you can "hand stitch" the strip if you are feeling ambitious. :-)


Simple trick but works :-) 
Y'all this is my "Design brain" from Residential & Commercial Construction. Everything needed to be precise with construction building. So, ignore my O.C.D. or enjoy a laugh and go with the flow :-) I'm seriously trying to calm my O.C.D. but as we all know when quilting it needs to be "squared up." But remember I'm preaching "less-stress-quilting" as we scrap-a-long 2gether so don't forget to have fun...make each design your own. That's what quilting is all about.... sharing...making gifts 2gther & trying new techniques plus using those scraps :-) 

Check back soon for Phase 3 & finishing,
Cat 


No comments:

Post a Comment