Saturday, January 13, 2024

"Measure Once Sewing Machine Cover" Phase 3 & Finishing!

 Hey quilters...hope your weekend is going great. My day started with rain but the sun peeked out a bit ago so that makes me smile. I'm excited to share the last phase of this fun design by Tied with a Ribbon. I love a pattern that is so easy to follow that inspires you to make it your own. This pattern is so unique & has easy instructions to trace the designs to make more. I'm sure y'all might make both...wall hanging and sewing machine cover. Right :-) As y'all know I absolutely love "charm packs." Not only are they budget-friendly w/ having a slice of the pattern hues within the collection but great space-saver too. My space is limited...hopefully it's just temporary...so charm packs...pre-cut strips are perfect! So, on that note...let me tell you about that "scrappy border" and those cute ties if you haven't noticed already :-) Remember when I stated...save those scraps as you were rotary cutting your 5" squares for the scrappy-back. Well, each scrap is used within the scrappy-binding and ties. That's right you will use every bit of that 5" charm square. I don't know about you but that seriously made me happy and just a heads up, you'll be seeing more of that clever technique. I'm all about a budget friendly design plus it's so easy and gives your design more of a unique style. Yes, you can buy a pre-made border or make a solid one with coordinating fabric but why not challenge yourself, especially when it's easy. This is the "advanced technique" that I previously mentioned and if you choose to make a standard binding then measure your square all around and allow a few extra inches to your finished size. I always say to challenge yourself especially on a small project. So, here's a funny...I can remember using "rick rack" for ties when sewing my daughter's dresses. I've come a long way sewing/quilting but sometimes it is fun to use the old classic technique. So yes. Buy your binding/rickrack if desired but keep this technique in mind for further projects. Remember it's your project so make it however your heart desires. I'm just excited we're making these 2gether. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/ MSQC

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links upper right on home page)

Don't forget if you need supplies click on my MSQC link to save 15% (1 x use for January)

I love how "inspirational" this design is sitting on my shelf when I'm not sewing w/my Janome :-)


Here's all you do...

* Measure the top/bottom of your design.

* Sew your 1.5 x 5" strips 2gether at the smallest width until you reach your desired size. You can do a continuious strip but I prefer to do a section at a time. 

* Finger press as you go then iron once you've achieved your desired length.

* Sew with right sides 2gether to top/bottom of design using a 1/4" seam allowance.

* Press & square up if needed.

* Now repeat same method of piecing your 1.5 x 5" strips until you've reached your length for the left/right side of design.

Tip...don't be as O.C.D. as I was...just grab the strips...sew and have fun! You can see how I laid out the strips in pic below. That took more time than this whole project :-) ;-) 


* Now starting at top...press seam to back leaving a 1/4" binding on front. 

* Fold in half again to enclose your seam on back. Press. Clip or pin as desired.

* Top stitch or quilt in the ditch on front of design to secure your binding.

* I used Aurifil 50# Aluminum which coordinated perfectly due to all the hues in the fabric. 

* Repeat same method for bottom binding then left/right binding.

Your almost finished...now to have fun making those super cute ties!

* Using the 1.5 x 3.5 strips sew as follows...

* Sew 2gether with the same method as binding until you get your desired length.

* Finger press as you go...then iron.


* Press a 1/4" seam lengthwise on left side of strip to the back side of strip.

* Repeat on the other side of the strip.

* Now fold with right sides together. Press...Pin/clip as desired.

Note...this is a small strip so watch your fingers when pressing :-)

* Now top stitch your strip to secure. 

Tip...I did a small fold to the inside of strip to secure the raw ends before sewing. Do the same if you wish.


You're almost finished...now wrap your cover over your machine and mark area where you'd like your ties to be.

* Sew the ties within your binding seam to secure. I did a simple straight stitch with a a small stitch length then back tacked a few times to secure.



You did it! I had a blast & believe my baby lock might need one too! :-)

Special thank you to "Tied with a Ribbon" for making a great pattern to create with!

Talk soon,

Cat





No comments:

Post a Comment