Saturday, June 3, 2023

Hello Summer! "Teach the kiddos 2 sew w/ a fun beach towel tutorial" Phase 1

 Hey quilter's ...hope your summer is off to a great start. I can't believe summer is already here. I'm a "Gege" now but I remember the days of trying to come up with interesting things to do with my daughter. I always had a sewing project for those "rainy days" when we couldn't go outside. She actually inspired today's project. We love going to the beach but she also loves pool side activities with my grandson. I'm sure y'all know of how a "beach towel" will blow if you're not "parked on it" :-) So this fun project is such an easy hack in phase one but if you know me I had to do advanced steps by adding a "scrappy dual pocket." This is such a great way to teach the kiddos basic sewing w/a fun...fast project. Yes, I know they want to be outside so trust me this will be rewarding & useful. They will be so proud to have a "unique beach towel" & be able to tell their friends they made it as well. :-) This is also a great gift idea & great project for adults as well. I purchased the towel for less than 6 bucks....I used my scraps from Northcott fabrics & did all the sewing with Aurifil 50# thread for extra durability. You can do the basic technique to secure the towel to a chair or chaise lounge or the advanced techniques of the "dual pockets." Yes...each pocket is "dual" to hold your summer items secure. & convenient right beside you! I love how the fabric & thread matched my towel perfectly. You can pop over to their sites on the upper right of my blog if you need to purchase any items. I absolutely love the quality of Aurifil thread....the great fabrics by Northcott, I used scraps of Banyan Batiks & Patrick Lose). If you need any supplies check out Missouri quilt co...great selection of sewing and quilting items. So....grab your "beach towel" & your kiddos and let's have a great summer sewing 2gether! 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

Cooking blog....www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com


Here's all you need...

* Beach towel

* Aurifil thead (50 weight for stability) I used #2235, 2588, #1320

* Scraps from Northcott fabrics (Banyan Batiks...Glam by Patrick Lose Studios)

* 30* Triangle ruler (optional but great for beginners)

Here's all you do...

* At the top of your beach towel, fold the towel with right sides 2gether so you'll be sewing your seam with the "wrong side" facing you.

* I do a 7" fold which works great for a chair or lounger.

* From that fold at tip mark (pin) a 2" starting point. 

* From that point draw a diagonal line to the bottom of the folded towel. You can use a 30 degree triangle ruler or just "wing it"...remember less stress quilting :-)


*Sew on diagonal line...reinforcing at start/stopping point for added strength.

* Repeat steps for left side.

* Turn inside out & you now have a fold that will hold your beach towel securely on a chair or lounger

PLUS you just taught a child the basics of sewing! 

I can see them now running to the pool & showing their friends what they already made this summer :-)

OR>>>.

Encourage them to check back for 'Phase 2" and make the advanced Dual pockets to hold all their summer gadgets ;-)

Either way your off to a great start teaching a child to sew this summer!

Enjoy & check back soon for Phase 2,

Cat





No comments:

Post a Comment