Sunday, June 4, 2023

Hello Summer!..."Teach the kiddos 2 sew" Beach Towel Tutorial Phase 2

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are having a great weekend. It's rainy season here in Florida. I will never complain again about the dry heat in Texas. I can't wait to get back to Texas as y'all know by now. When you have arthritis, the humidity is horrible for your muscles and bones. Plus, in Texas is a very sweet Grandson....main reason to get back of course! :-) So, pray the housing market slows down so I can get back :-) Well...in meantime lets finish this fun beach towel tutorial. You can choose to make both pockets or whatever is easier for you. I love the "scrappy pocket" but had so much for making the vinyl ribbon pocket too. Remember have fun & enjoy your "unique beach towel". Check back soon for more fun & easy summer projects. Here's a hint...we'll be doing some "quilting art." That's right....we;ll be getting a little "art-c soon" :-) Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

UPDATE:  Before you decide on what "pocket" you make...please note with using "vinyl" which is a great fabric it does not "play well with your dryer in my experience anyway" So... either "hang dry" your towel or use "velcro dots...strip" to remove your pocket from towel if you decide to use dryer. I've gotten so used to letting my towel "air dry" that I didn't think of this step. Either way to adhere pocket works great. You can also omit the vinyl if desired and just use another scrap piece of cotton fabric as your lining instead. My apologies for any inconvenience. Cat

Here's all you need for 7 w x 6 .5 L  "scrappy duo pocket"

* Aurifil 50 weight thread to coordinate with fabric scraps ( I used 

* Coordinate your scrap strips as desired ( I used scraps of Banyan Batiks & glam by Patrick Lose)

* Rotary cut your Scrap strips to accommodate 7.5 x 7 or your desired pocket size 

(includes 1/4" seam allowance)


* Sew strips w/ right sides 2gether...finger press as you go until you reach your desired pocket size.

* Iron & square up if needed ( 7.5 x 7)


* Rotary cut your backing (I use muslin scraps) to 7.5 x 7

* Place your scrap piece and muslin with right sides 2gether and sew a 1/4 seam allowance around square leaving a 2" opening for turning inside out. Reinforce at start/stopping point.

* Turn inside out...press out corners (I use a pencil but don't poke through fabric) fold opening fabric even with pocket.

* Press if needed

Tip...don't worry about opening...you'll be top-stitching in a minute :-)

* Rotary cut 2 clear vinyl pieces tp 7 x 6.5 or your pocket size

* Place pocket (backing facing you) then your 2 vinyl pieces on top. Pin or clip leaving the top open.

* Top stitch a 1/4" seam starting at right side...continue around square...pivot at corners & back up to the left side...reinforce at start/stop point.  Leave the TOP open. 

* You now have a "duo pocket"

Tip....I inserted a piece of paper between the vinyl to keep them sticking together :-)

* Pin to desired area on beach towel/

Tip...I placed towel on chair & chaise lounger to measure where I wanted pocket positioned. So, your towel will fit for both if needed :-)


* On upper left/right side of pocket...sew to towel about a 2" line securing pocket to towel.
Reinforce at start/stopping point

Tip...I used my seam on pocket as my guide. Remember your pocket will hang down from towel so don't sew totally to towel (that's why I only did a 2" seam" :-)



You now have a "scrappy duo pocket" for all your summer gadgets....:-) 



Well....you can stop here...or make 2 pockets as above or follow to next step for my easy vinyl pockets!

I love having two pockets...it balances the towel plus you can hold more items conveniently right beside you when relaxing by pool..beach...or lake! Just remember to place your pocket in same area as previous side ;-)

Here's all you need for Vinyl pocket...

* Clear vinyl to your desired pocket size ( mine is 6.5 x 10)

* Ribbon 1.5 wide

* Coordinating thread ( I used Aurifil 50 weight # 2235 & 1320)

Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut your clear vinyl to 13 x 10 and fold in half. lengthwise to make a 6.5 x 10 inch fold.

* Fold your ribbon in half and insert your vinyl between ribbon all around the pocket leaving the top open. I did a one inch fold over at each side (top) to secure raw edge of ribbon. At bottom corners do a "miter corner" and clip/or pin to secure all around pocket. 


* Top stitch on ribbon all around sides of pocket (leave top open) about a 1/4" in. to secure ribbon to vinyl with coordinating thread. Reinforce at start/stopping points.

* Top stitch another seam around ribbon with coordinating thread. This will help secure ribbon to vinyl.

This is why I loved the stripe ribbon...not only is it cute but stripes make a great guide when sewing :-)
You know me less-stress-quilting or in this case sewing :-)

Tip...place a piece of paper between vinyl. For some odd reason vinyl sticks together easily. Do this while sewing. Your items when placed later will keep that from happening :-)

* For a "duo pocket"...sew a seam down center of pocket or leave open for one large pocket. 


* Now position pocket to beach towel as desired following same directions as "Scrappy duo pocket."

Tip....I positioned my pocket in same area so pockets would hang the same on each side of beach towel. 

Note: once you have pocket sewn to towel...I then did a "secure stitch" by hand with Aurifil 50 weight thread on top where the divided line was previously sewn by machine. This will help with weight once you add items to your pocket. You could always secure with "no sew" adhesive dots if desired. 



Well I hope you enjoyed this project. Go show off what you already made this summer. Relax & have a great summer but check back soon for more fun & easy projects.

Summer Blessings,
Cat






No comments:

Post a Comment