Thursday, June 15, 2023

Teach the kiddos 2 Sew/Quilt this Summer! "Fun Wall Art"....Phase 1

 Hey everyone....hope y'all are doing great and weather is being kind. The heat is horrible already across the country. I plan quilting projects so when weather is crazy I have something to do. As y'all know by now I believe in thread and fabric therapy. I live in pain, and I know there are many of us that do. I even set my "kitchen timer" to 10 minutes when quilting. Don't laugh...I even have an old post stating this tip. Great tip if you have back issues like me. The timer is a "friendly reminder" to get up...stretch...and walk around. Anyway, I hope you have purchased your towel or item you are going to quilt. I should mention that many fabrics have patterns that would stunning enhanced with thread. If your still needing your item to be quilted this would be a great time to take the kiddos on a 'field trip" to your local quilt store. Let them explore the fabrics...so many designs and textures to enhance their creativity. Well before we get started on preparing your towel or item for quilting, I want to share this fun tip. I love to play with my "stitch length" on machine when quilting. It may not be the "proper" thing to do for professional quilters but their is no "quilt police" in my quilting room. :-) You achieve different textures...dimensions doing this technique and it's totally fun! I use a "small" stitch length when quilting around the small areas. This helps when "pivoting" then once I achieve the look, I then adjust my stitch length longer and quilt away. You can see the results in the pics below. Also, I use a "open toe foot" when quilting this project." This helps to see/follow the directional design on pattern. If you are a "experienced quilter" then pop your "quilting foot" on and have fun! This design is teaching basic quilting and getting comfortable with your machine. If you want to "step out of your comfort zone" then have fun meandering....stippling...endless "quilt-a-bilities" Advanced step later by accenting with beads and different thread textures after you've quilted. As I always say..."It's your project...get creative & have fun!" 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Note...see previous post for your supplies needed. You can click on upper right of my blog, and it will take you to their websites if you still need supplies :-)

Here's all you do...

* Layer stabilizer

* low loft batting

* Towel (right side facing you)  or your preferred fabiric

* Lay on top of your canvas to achieve the desired quilting area.

* Pin around area to be quilted or mark with chalk...I do both so I still have the marked area when needing to remove pins when quilting.

Tip....I quilt about an inch away from the desired quilting area. This will allow you to have a quilted area when you wrap your towel around the canvas later. Plus...it's a great "start/stopping area" :-)

Preparing to quilt...

* Depending on your machine & your item to be quilted you may need to change your needle to adjust to your project. Practice on a area that you wont see :-)

Tip...I started at top of my "quilting area" so I can smooth the towel and adjusted my pins as needed while quilting. 

In pic you can see that I followed the design on towel when quilting :-)

I changed my thread as needed to accent the color hues in towel. I can always count on Aurifil thread to compliment all my quilting projects!


* Quilt in sections....take your time & have fun!



Check back soon for Phase 2 & finishing!

Blessed quilting,

Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment