Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Gift 4 Mrs. Claus..."Glam Mug Mat"

 Hey quilter's...hope your holiday shopping is going great. I love Christmas...not just the "gifting of a homemade gift" but the Christmas spirit and joy in the air. I was shopping yesterday and a man out of the blue said, "Have a Blessed Christmas." That kindness is wonderful. You never know how something so simple effects a person. I won't be going to have Christmas in Texas this year, so his kind words put me back into reality. The reason of the Season. Well on that note...I personally believe that behind every great man is a great woman. Yup...we can't forget Mrs. Claus. So, I'm sharing a sweet & easy gift for you to leave for Santa to take back to Mrs. Claus. I think she will love the "sentiment" of a homemade gift to use all year! This "scrap-a-long" is so much fun you might make a few extras :-) It's called a "Glam Mug Mat" due to the glam fabric designed by Patrick Lose for Northcott Fabrics. I love combining scraps with different textures 2gether. You get such a unique design. I combined scraps of Keetan by Banyan Batiks for Northcott fabrics as well. Plus, y'all know me...it's pieced and quilted with my favorite "Aurifil thread." The design is very versatile. Just change the fabric for any season. Great fun & easy gift for beginners too. It's about 7" ish mug mat. Mine got a little "wonky" cause I didn't ser my seam correctly when I took a break and came back to finish. Note...always check your settings if you walk away from your machine before you begin again...it happens. ;-( So, let's get started & make this sweet "glam mug mat" for Mrs. Claus!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Facebook & Pinterest


Here's all you need...

Aurifil thread ( I used 50 weight #2780

Snowflake scraps from Northcott Fabrics, Banyan Batiks & Patrick Lose, glam

Backing Fabric

Batting

Insulbright lining (hot/cold)

Sulky light weight tear-away stabilizer

Fons & Porter 2" finished side Hexagon ruler

Here's all you do...

*Using your hexagon ruler..."fussy cut" your snowflake design using a rotary cutter. I positioned mine off center but do as you desire. 


* Rotary cut your border strips 1 x 6. This will give you 1/2" borders. I did a random scrappy design with my strips, but you can definitely do your strips as desired. It's your design...have fun with it! :-)

* Starting at top of hexagon square...with right sides together....sew a strip using a 1/4" seam allowance. Use your hexagon ruler to square up as you go. Keep adding border strips, finger press as you go until you get your desired size. I did 2 rows of border strips to add a "unique scrappy design" for Mrs. Claus :-)


Tip...I use my Olfa mat to use as a "spinning mat" as I rotary cut around hexagon ruler. Sew easy :-)




Border/Binding...

* Rotary cut your border strips 2 x 6 or your desired length. The 2" width will give you a 1/2" border on front and enough fold for a finished binding on back. 

* Sew in same method as above...finger pressing as you go. 



Tip...what I do at this point is "iron/press" a 1/2" binding fold to the back. I start at top and fold/press at each side until all sides are incorporated. This will give you a crisp design on front plus it's a "guide" for you to rotary cut your backing/batting & insulbright. in the next step. #less-stress-quilting! :-)


* Now rotary cut your backing...batting & insulbright to this size :-)

* Layer your hexagon block right side facing down

* Insulbright

* Batting

* Starting at top...use that "pressed fold" and fold to the back and tuck in creating a finished seam on back. Clip or pin as you go. Remember to make sure you have the 1/2" binding in the front. Continue for all 6 sides of hexagon. I use "clips" so I can secure in areas that might be a bit more difficult. Just remove clips as you are sewing :-)


This pic made me laugh so hard...reminded me as a child of my mother walking around with those colored sponge rollers in her hair...oh my gosh I would die when she would pick me up at school with those in her hair....crazy memories! :-) :-) :-) 

* Now starting at top sew in the ditch of the binding strip of hexagon until all binding seams are sewn. 

This will secure your "binding fold" on the back. No worries if you noted a part of seam on back that didn't catch...just use a touch of "washable fabric glue" to secure :-) it happens!

* Your almost done...I quilted in the ditch around the hexagon center with coordinating Aurifil thread. You can do the same or quilt as desired. 

I hope you enjoyed this fun & easy "scrap-a-long".

Stay tuned,,,I have one more fun & easy gift coming soon. This one is a sneek peek of my "coastal gnome scrap-a-long" this coming year!

Blessed Quilting,

Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment