Friday, June 7, 2024

America...Sew Beautiful.."Sweet Land of Liberty" Phase 2

 Hey quilter's...it's finally Friday! I don't know about y'all but this week flew by for me. I alway's tell "youngster's" when talking with them..."don't get old..it's a trap." Funny Story...it is! Yesterday I seriously thought it was Wednesday then my hubby this morning thought today was Thursday. Seriously! Mind blowing but ya just need to laugh. Well today I'll be sharing Phaase 2 of the design where you'll be making the corner star blocks. Please do not let those stars intimidate you. Some clever quilter (not me) came up with a genious was to make them. I've enjoyed making stars more once I learned this clever technique. The center of the starts will be pieced due to using 2 1/2 in strips but you could do a solid square from scraps if desired. I've really enjoyed coordinating the fabrics within the collection together. I love it when they do all the hard work for me. I hope your enjoying using a "Jelly Roll & Panel" especially if it's your first time too. I'm really having a blast this year challenging myself...learning new techniques & thankful y'all are learning a long with me. Remember there's no quilting police on my blog so just take your time matching points/seams when piecing the stars. I try not to pin...just "scooch" the seams together when sewing the seams. Most quilter's call it "nesting the seams" but for me it seems that I do a lot of "scooching." :-) I made 2 each of the same design then I'll be placing in opposite corners within the borders. The prints are so stunning so you can't go wrong :-) By now you've got an idea of how you want to lay out your stips for the borders so keep that in mind when choosing the fabrics for the stars if desired. Don't be as O,C,D. (only Cat does) as I was,,,just enjoy creating your design and most of all....have fun! If you still need supplies my link to Missouri Star Quilt Company will save 20% off $50. or more for the month of June. I thank y'all so much for following and talk soon.

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links on right of home page)


Here's all you do...

( Directions for Four... 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 blocks...finished 8")

* For center....rotary cut 4 squares in desired fabric 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 ...

* Per design...sew 2 squares w/right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance for row 1. Press.

* Repeat for row 2 then join the rows together to form a 4 patch block. Press.

* Repeat for all 4 Corner Blocks.

Tip...if you press your seams in opposite directions before joining the rows together they will "scooch/nestle" together better :-)

Red Points of Star...

* From desired background fabric...rotary cut 4 strips 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 

* From desired accent fabric (red) rotary cut 8 squares 2 1/2 x 2 1/2/

* From desired accent fabric for corner squares...rotary cut Four squares 2 1/2 x 2 1/2.

*Per design...place one square along top edge of white 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 strip and draw a line from corner to corner...sew directly on that line & press open. Trim away access fabric on back.


* Repeat for opposite corner. Press.


Tip...follow direction of points on block design when drawing line corner to corner. This helps me so I don't get my directional lines confused :-)


* Repeat for all for sides of block.

* Place on each side of center square per design. 


* Place corner blocks per design.


* Sew Row 1 sqaures  w/right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press.

* Repeat for Row 2...matching center seams.

* Then Row 3...press

* Per design...Join rows togher using the same method...Press.

* Repeat for all four corner blocks.

You did it! They are sew much fun to make :-)

Check back soon for Phase 3,

Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment