Saturday, June 15, 2024

America...Sew Beautiful "Sweet Land of Liberty" Phase 5

 Hey quilter's...hope y'alls weekend is off to a great start. I've been playing w/my EQ8 software "the electric quilt". I love this quilt design software. Super easy to learn & I actually have advanced myself with their software from the very beginning. Not saying I'm techy...believe me but that's how easy their software is to follow along and has programs within to teach yourself. I uploaded the panel deisgn within the borders of this quilt design for accuracy when rotary cutting. I know Missouri Star Quilt Company sells the software too :-) It's always fun to challenge yourself and learn new skills especially when it comes to quilting. I always try to state exact measurements on designs but you should always measure your squares as well. Sometimes fabric stretches and that will give you a different size. I'm posting today's phase just in case y'all are ready for your border/binding/quilting. I prepared mine for quilting but I'm waiting on my backing fabric to arrive. I love Missouri Star Wide Backs so much that I decided to apply the gray fabric as my backing as well. I was going to scrap my back but I love how the quilt is coming a long so I decided to spurge a bit and go for it. Plus...my discount link to MSQC saved me on the fabric too. Win...win :-) Due to the length of the quilt design you most likely will be piecing border strips together. It is not hard at all and actually fun. My late mom-in-law used to piece her scraps together for a long scrappy border. Great use of scraps for sure. Also...depending on your level of quiling you might decide to quilt first..square up then add borders. I like to add my border strips then quilt up to the seam line. For me that's easier due to quilting on a domestic machine. Whatever way you decide on the technique is super easy to do. I'll be sharing a "spook-tacular" design next week while I'm waiting on my backing fabric to arrive. Plus a sneak-peek of the project "Teach the kiddos to sew this summer." I'm loving the design and can't wait to share it with y'all. Lets just say "I've got your back." hint...hint :-) Wishing all the father's a great weekend. Mine is in heaven so I'm sure he's doing what he loves...fly fishing! Thank y'all so much for following and if you need supplies my link to MSQC w/save you 20% off $50. or more for the month of June. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from my Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC 

Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links on right of home page)

P.S. don't forget to enter for the "Cuddle Fabric Give-a-way" :-)


Tip...Pressing is the key when joining strips for borders...I love my ironing board cover fom Missouri Star Quilt co...the quality & thickness of padding is perfect plus it's super cute :-)

Piecing Border/Binding Strips together...

* Measure your quilt top and take the longest width & length to get an "idea" of how many strips you will be joiningg together.

* Press fabric before rotary cutting strips.

* Rotary cut strips 2.5 x your desired length. 

* With strips right side together make an "L"...and draw a diagonal line across from corner to corner (note direction in pic)




* Pin to secure if desired.

* Sew on that line...Fold strip over to make an even line...press...trim away extra bulk on back to seam line.

* Repeat same method as you join strips 2gehter for your desired length.

Tip... I make mine longer and then square up later after sewing on to quilt top.

Joining Border/Binding strips to quilt top...

Note....the strips are "wider" due to folding over later to back  making a finished border on front with my border/binding technique. Do the same if desired.

* Join strips to top/bottom of quilt w/right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. 

* Press and square up.

* Repeat same method for left/right side of quilt.

Prepare for quilting...

* Measure your quilt top. Press your backing fabric to that size plus a few inches extra to allow for shrinkage during quilting.

* Rotary cut your batting using the same measuring method.

* Place backing fabric w/ right side down.

* Batting

* Then quilt top up (facing you)

* Pin to secure and quilt as desired. 

* Remember to remove pins as you quilt :-)

* Use the "ironing board trick" if you need help with weight of quilt when quilting :-)

Note...you are one step ahead of me so have fun!

Tip...I like to quilt in the ditch around center of quilt to secure my layers together...then I smooth the fabric and quilt outward to sides. But you do what is easier for you. I will be accenting around the beautiful floral design on panel with coordinating Aurifil thread :-)

Once you have finished quilting...fold your border/binding strip to the back leaving a 1/4" border on the front. (start with top/bottom then left/right side) Fold binding in half again to secure and quilt in the ditch on front side or secure with hand stitching on back. 

Remember to have fun...this is the exciting part...quilting and getting creative with stitches & thread colors to enhance the design.

Check back soon as I'll be showing my quilting progress once my backing arrives :-)

Talk soon,

Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment