Monday, August 28, 2023

Scrap forward 2 Fall...."Scrap-a-ble Stack-a-ble Sunflower Trivet" 10" center!

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all had a wonderful weekend. It seems lately that I always talk to y'all about the weather first...well...can't help it...have you been watching this crazy weather! Oh my gosh...I know it's "Hurricane Season" but this is nuts already. First my prayers to everyone for strength during this time. Yes, that includes me. I thank everyone for the calls...texts already and yes we're preparing for the worst. The one thing I can definitely say with this crazy "temporary move" to Florida is that "you don't mess with mother nature!" I've learned even a "tropical storm" is just as damaging. So yes....Im prepared...snacks...thread & fabric are secured :-) It's a funny thing if you have a Cat. My sweet "Lottie" named after my late grandmother knows somethings up when I start putting things into protective bags. If you ever go through this, putting items in sealed storage bags is wonderful. I use Ziplock freezer bags for small items & those large storage vacuum bags for large items. Large plastic tubs are great as well. I know it's not going to help one bit it my house gets blown away but least I know they are a 'bit protected." Lord give us strength! Well,,,enough of the weather...right? Oh my gosh let's get back to why I called this design "stack-a-ble." I know my projects are smaller these days mostly due to my personal health reasons of limited sitting/standing but...they are "fun-ctional." The one thing I've learned in my design career is that if a design is not functional for your family's needs, then it's not practical. Sure, it can always look awesome but if it doesn't accommodate your needs then whets the point. To me anyway :-) Oh my gosh y'all my spell check just lit up like crazy...cataract surgery is not coming fast enough :-) or maybe it's my arthritic fingers :-(...anyway...the center of the "sunflower" is also a "trivet".... roughly 10" depending on your prairie point placement. Stack-a-ble because they stack on top of each other when not using which makes the "fun-ctional decor." Also, great space saver if you have limited storage. I will give you a "heads up" you'll be seeing some more designs with "prairie points." Seriously they are so cute and super easy & fast to make which I love! The directions below are just like the 13" Sunflower in previous post. I will be reflecting back to the original post/design but stating the sizes needed to accommodate this sweet sunflower trivet for the center. Well, wish us all prayers and strength while prepping for another beast. I thank y'all so much for following me & I hope you've been able to get some supplies you've wanted from Missouri Star Quilt Company with the discount. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com (fast & easy recipes)

Link in upper right of blog for 15" off (1 x use) from Missouri Star Quilt Company...code QUILTVINEAUG 23 will appear to click on at checkout. 

Paid Partnership with MSQC




I hope y'all can download video...it was my first try :-)

Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut backing fabric and Insul-bright using medium octagon template by MSQC

* Rotary cut your top fabric plus 2" (this will be your binding/fold later)

Tip...I used a ruler to mark out 2" from my template to help guide when rotary cutting.

* Layer backing fabric...right side down then insulbright

* Top fabric...right side up (facing you)

* Position within the center of sunflower

* Pin at top to secure...carefull flip over...remove pin.

* Starting at top...Fold border in half then fold in half again to make a finished seam on back.

* Pin or clip.

* Continue same method to the right until all corners are folded back.

* Finger press if needed and pin or clip as you go.

Tip...I use my spinning mat from MSQC to help with rotating the block...Less stress on your back too!

* On front of block...top stitch or stitch in the ditch w/ coordinating thread.

* Back stitch to secure & remove pins as you go.

Tip:... I position my "needle down" on my Baby Lock Jazz II for easier pivoting at corners. If your machine doesn't have that option make sure your needle is in down position before pivoting at corners to secure your block before rotating at corners :-)

Prairie Points...

Note...I used the rest of my Sunglow chips from previous trivet then added coordinating scraps from Chroma by Deborah Edwards for Northcott...they coordinated perfectly!

First row...

* Make 8 prairie points ( 4 light & 4 dark)....see large trivet post to make prairie ponts :-)

* On front of block...starting at top...place prairie point just within the top at seam line...position prairie points with right side of opening...pin.... continue same method tucking prairie points within the next until all 8 are positioned/pinned...alternating colors.

* Top stitch on raw edge of prairie points...remove pins as you go.

Second row... 

* Make 8 more prairie points and stagger them with points out within the first row.

* Sew as same method as above.

Third row...

* Rotary cut your fabric to 4 x4 to make prairie points a bit smaller. This will make a 3.5" prairie point.

* Make 8-9 prairie points or as needed for your center.

Position the same way as above within center of block....but do not pin.

Sunflower center...

* Rotary cut your center fabric & heatnbond lite to 6 x 6

* Fuse to wrong side of sunflower fabric following manufacturer's instructions.

* Trace center of sunflower using small octagon template on paper side.

* Carefully rotary cut around template.

Tip:...I wanted my center a bit smaller so I folder my octagon in half and rotary cut in a 1/4"...do the same if you wish.

* Place in center of Prairie points and using the octagon shape as your guide...reposition any prairie points to make sure all raw edges are "tucked" within the sunflower center.

* Remove paper backing off sunflower center & position again on top of sunflowers...carefully fuse in place following manufacturer's directions on hearnbond lite.

This step allows you to re-position the prairie points if needed before fusing. Less-stress-sewing/quilting! :-)

* Top stitch with coordinating thread on sunflower center which will secure all prairie points.

* Quilt as desired.

I used my "quilting foot" on Baby Lock to help quide me when accent quilting the center of sunflower.
Helps when using coordinating thread :-)

Well, I hope you enjoyed this scrap-a-long for your fall entertaining.

Keep following for more fast & easy scrap-a-longs for your holiday entertaining.

Talk soon,
Cat
















No comments:

Post a Comment