Thursday, August 24, 2023

"Scrap Forward 2 Fall"...Scrap-a-ble Stack-a-ble Sunflower Trivets!"

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is going well & the weather is being kind. I'm sure y'all are ready for fall weather especially due to this hot summer most of us are having. I thank God for A/C every time I come in from the outside heat. I wanted to start my fall scrap-a-longs with y'all showcasing items from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Oh my gosh y'all...I'm in love with these Octagon templates. I ordered them in the small, medium & large. I love the quality & they have been a blast to use! I used the large Octagon for the backing & insul-bright then the medium to help square up the "prairie points along the way" & the small for the center of the Sunflower. Absolutely perfect for rotary cutting on your fabric. Speaking of fabric...hello...the Stonehenge Graduations Brights "Sunglow Chips" had so much color variations that it made staggering the color hues in "prairie points" perfectly. I used all of the 5 x 5 sq's in pack except 9 so i'll be incorporating those into a smaller trivet. I love it when you can make something "fun-ctional" and no fabric waste. Win..Win...for me especially with my "temporary downsizing" of my quilting room. :-(  Sometimes you don't realize what you miss until you "down-size." Although it's amazing what you can store in "dining room cabinets"...:-) :-) :-) Anyway, hope you enjoy this "scrap-a-long: as much as I am... the fabric colors sure do get me in the mood for a "Pumpkin Spice Latte." Make as many as you desire...lay them as a centerpiece in a row on table & "stack" them for easy storage! Don't forget you still have time to pop over to Missouri Star Quilt Company to enjoy your 15% off ( 1 x use) ...link below will take you directly to site & you'll receive your discount at checkout. Enjoy entertaining with this super cute trivet!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com (fun & easy recipes for your quilting retreats)

https://glnk.io/mzmmj/ihearditthroughthequiltvine  (MSQC link in upper right of blog for discount)


Here's all you need...


* MSQC Octagon templates (sm. med. & large)

* Aurifil 50 weight thread ( 2134, 4150, 2235, 1140)

* Northcott Fabrics Stonehenge Graduations Chips ( Sunglow Chips)

* Northcott Fabrics ( Ombre slate-brown)

* Northcott Fabrics (Shimmer 20258M) center of sunflower...love this fabric :-)

* Insul-Bright

Here's all you do....

Note: directions are for approximately 13 x 13" Trivet for entertaining. :-)

* With your large octagon template...rotary cut brown fabric for backing & insulbright

Tip: I did not use a layer of batting due to the 3 layers of prairie points for protection. Do what is best for your entertaining needs.

* With large octagon template.. Rotary cut your top fabric plus 2"...this is extra for your binding/fold later. Less-stress-quilting :-)

Tip: use a ruler to help mark your 2" line from octagon template.

Pic below is using medium template, but same idea with large octagon template. Forgot to take pic using large template :-(



* Layer backing fabric (right side down)

* Insul-bright

* Top fabric right side up & centered within the block

* Pin at top 2 secure.

* Carefully flip over & remove pin.

Border fold...

* Starting at top...Fold front fabric over 1 "....finger press...then tuck in 1" to form a finished fold.

* Pin or clip to secure

* Continue same method going clockwise following octagon shape until all corners are folded/pinned.




Tip: Spinning mat is wonderful at this step. :-)

* On font side of Octagon fabric...top stitch at border hem to secure fold on back of block.

Tip:  I use my pressure foot as guide & position my needle in the down position (if have on your machine) when pivoting corners....remove pins as you go.

Prairie Points...

* First lay out your "chips" to see all the color variations of this stunning collection.


Note: you will be laying from outside to inside with 3 layers of prairie points. I also staggered my squares from light to dark...well as much as possible anyway :-)

* Choose eight 5 x 5" squares.

* With right side facing down on pressing mat...fold in half diagonally (point to point)

* Fold in half again forming the "prairie point triangle"

* Press

* Repeat same method for all squares.


* On front side of octagon block...starting at top...position your prairie point within the block with points out and opening to the right.

* Pin to secure.

* Continue this method clockwise and inserting next prairie point into the opening.

* Repeat steps until all 8 are positioned within the square.

* Top stitch on raw edge of prairie points with coordinating thread.

* Row 2...

* Same method as above.( 8 points again)...alternating colors and staggering points within the shape creating a sunflower design with points out.



 3rd Layer...

* Make 8 prairie points with same method as above.... alternating colors and positioning closer to center following Octagon shape.

Tip:...this is where I used the "medium octagon template" to help keep my prairie points in line before pinning.

4th Layer...

* Same method as above but I made 9 prairie points for the fullness. Also, I used the small octagon template to help position my prairie points forming the octagon design.

* Pin but do not sew yet :-) you know me..I have a easy method :-) 

Sunflower center...

I fell in love with Northcott Shimmer by Deborah Edwards...accented the sunflower design perfectly!

* Rotary cut shimmer fabric to 6 x 6" square.

* Rotary cut heatnbond lite just shy of 6 x 6" square.

* Fuse insulbright to wrong side of shimmer fabric following manufacturers directions.

* On paper side...rotary cut around your small octagon template. 

Tip:...place octagon in center of sunflowers and adjust any prairie point ends if needed. Your sunflower center should over your unfinished edges of prairie points. This is why I didn't want you to top stitch them yet. I actually had to adjust mine a few times :-)

Remove pins.

* Tear away paper off back of small octagon...position on prairie points and carefully fuse following manufacturer's directions. This method secures your prairie points before topstitching. :-)

* Top stitch around center with coordinating thread & a-play-que...quilt as desired.

I did a few rows of quilting using my 1/4" quilting foot on my Baby Lock Jazz II as my guide.

Remember...have fun....less-stress-sewing/quilting :-)

I hope you enjoyed this fun-ctional sunflower trivet for your fall entertaining. Keep following for more "scrap-a-longs"

Talk soon,
Cat











No comments:

Post a Comment