Monday, August 21, 2023

Scrap Forward 2 Football Season..."You'll Score w/this Fun-ctional Apron!"

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all had a great weekend. It went a bit fast for me but always thankful for not horrible rain during this season. I want to share with y'all before I get on to the next scrap-a-long. Missouri Star Quilt Company made it so much easier to receive your 15% discount ( 1 x use)...all you do now is click in my link and you will automatically receive the discount at checkout. I also have it in my "links I love" at the upper right of my blog for more convenience. Plus, I have to say have you seen their new fabric lines. I'm thrilled to be sharing a new design soon with y'all. I love shopping & Partnering with MSQC, they are a family-owned company with great customer service. For me that's a win..win! Speaking of winning...did you see this super cute apron? You will definitely "score" w/this fun-ctional apron when entertaining,,,tailgating or great dorm gift. You'll still be using the same fabric from previous Football designs but if you need supplies the coupon for 15% off ( 1 x use) is still valid until August 31st. The apron is super easy & fun-ctional with a "football cell-phone pocket"....here's the "kicker"...I'll also be sharing how you can turn the "pockets into a coaster" as well. The design is very easy & can be "tweaked" for any size.  I'll be challenging you a bit with the advanced steps of the pockets plus those super fun "prairie points." The pattern below is for sm/medium. but here's a "tip already." Take a "kitchen towel" wrap it around your waistline to get a visual of the size stated below. Then you can adjust the direction's if needed. Yes, you guessed it...that's actually how I came up with the dimensions. You know me...less-stress-sewing/quilting! So, grab your supplies and let's get ready to have some "fun" when entertaining this football season. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com


Note: the directions below are for a finished 15" (length) x 27" (width) apron...adjust if needed.

Also, you'll be using the fun Mini Peel Template by MSQC for the pockets/coaster :-)

You'll be using your scraps from Northcott Fabrics 'Stonehenge" your NFL fabric & using your coordinating thread. I love a project that you use what you already have! :-)

Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut NFL fabric & lining ( I use muslin) to 16 x 28.

Tip:...make sure your "NFL design" is squared up before cutting :-)

* Pin or clip with right sides 2gether.

* Mark a 5" opening with your pins (this will be your opening for turning inside/out)

Tip:... I double pin my opening to make sure I don't forget and remove pin and sew on through. :-) You know me when I "share a tip" it's because I've usually experienced it :-( Just saying! :-)


* Sew with right sides 2gether using a 1/2" seam allowance. Pivot at corners w/ (needle down) making sure you leave the "opening."

*Backstich at start/stopping points to reinforce your seams.

* Turn inside out...finger press fabric in @ opening.

* Press on right side of apron.

* Top stitch a 1/4" seam allowance all around aprong. Use your presser foot as your guide. 

Tip:...This will secure your opening plus give your apron a very professional finished look.

Band...

* Rotary cut white fabric 3" x width of fabric or to your desired length.

Tip:...I wanted the bands to wrap extra-long so I used the method below...do the same if you wish. 

* Join 2 strips w/ right sides 2gether and draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.

Note: it will look like a "backwards L" :-)


* Sew on that line using a small stitch length.


* Rotary cut a 1/4" away from the stitched line.

* Flip over and press...they should line up. Repeat as many times needed for your length.


* Trim away the cute "dog ear"

* Fold band in half w/ right sides 2gether. Press

* Mark/pin a 7" opening (for turning inside/out later)

* Sew from corner to corner about a 1/4 " seam starting/stopping @ opening & reinforce at start/stopping points.

* Turn inside out. Finger press opening...press band.

Tip: I used a "loop turner" to turn inside out. Yes you will fight a bit with it and get a bit mad during this process but it's sew worth it! Yes you could just do a finish seam/fold and top-stitch to secure if desired. My home-ec teacher is probablly yelling at me in heaven right now. Sorry but I'm all about less-stress-sewing/quilting :-)

* You will roughly h" to 1 1/4" width band.

* Place band on right side of your apron Pin 2 secure.

* Using your presser foot as your guide...top-stitch around band securing it to apron.

Tip:...you can fold apron in half to mark your center point before pinning band. 

Also, I know some of y'all are saying...why didn't she use a "fusible interfacing" in the band. Well, you can but I did not due to the small width of the band. The layers of the fabric along with the placement on top of the apron secured it for me. Do what is easier for you. 

Well, ya did it!!! Seriously this is such a fun/fast apron for all your Holidays...just change the fabric!

Now here's the "kicker"...you just finished the "basic apron" & you can stop here if desired, but I'd love for you to try the "football pockets" & or coasters & those super cute "prairie points." :-)

Either way you'll score when wearing this "fun-ctional" apron when entertaining this football season!

Check back soon for the "advanced pockets/coaster & prairie points"

Talk soon,

Cat





No comments:

Post a Comment