Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Scrap Forward 2 Football Season...."Football Pockets & Prairie Point Hem"

 Hey quilter's...hope your day is going great. My prayers are with my Texas family but thanking God the storm "looks" o.k. One thing I've definitely learned with my temporary move to Florida is that you never take mother nature for granted. Yesterday we had a "mild wind gust" & power went off for 3 seconds. thank God for surge protectors. But as we all know...Tis the Hurricane Season...I much rather be in "Football Season." :-) Well, I hope you are enjoying this fun-ctional apron. As stated in previous post you can use the same pattern and just change your fabric for any Holiday Entertaining. I always like to say, " One Design...Sew Many Ways!" As a designer I love to incorporate fun & easy techniques when entertaining. & decorating. It's always great to hear someone say "hey, where did you get that?" Then they grin...Oh yagh, of course you made it. :-) There's nothing more special than hearing that and making gifts for others. I don't do as much as I used to especially now with my back issues and this is one reason why I love sharing "fun-ctional" scrap-a-longs with y'all. It gives me to share what I love with you & encourage new quilters with my easy techniques. I usually have an advanced tip to encourage you along the way & my tips. Which usually means I've made the mishaps,,,,oopsie and now preventing you from doing the same. Believe me I could post several...thank God there is no "quilt police" in my sewing room. But as I always say...less-stress-quilting. The main thing is we do what we love & if it doesn't turn out exactly as I wanted then it has "character." I thank you so much for following and have to say I'm super excited to share more fun-ctional scrap-alongs for the upcoming Holidays real soon.! Remember you still have time to enjoy 15% off ( 1  use) until August 31st from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Link in upper right of blog under sites I love. The link includes discount when you check out. Sew convenient. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com (great recipes for Quilter's potlucks)



Here's all you do for " 3.5" Football Pockets or Coaster"...

Tip:...Pocket can be easily enlarged. Just adjust your backing/ batting & binding strips * Insulbright if doing coasters accordingly.

* Use your brown (already fused scraps) from football trivets or...

Rotary cut brown fabric & heatnblond lite to 2.5 x 2.5

* Fuse to wrong side of brown fabric following manufacturer's directions.

* Using your "mini peel template" trace around template ( I use a pencil) on paper side of fabric.

* Carefully cut on traced line...make a slight curve at corners to form football.

Set aside.

* Rotary cut from green fabric two 3 x 3" squares

* Rotary cut from white fabric two strips 2 x 3"

* Sew white strips to green square with right sides together to top/bottom using a 1/4" seam allowance...Press & square up if needed. 

* Rotary cut from white fabric 2 strips 2 x 5 3/4" 

* Sew to Left/Right side of block as above.

* Press & square up if needed.

Note:...these white strips become your border/binding in later steps. :-)

Repeat Steps for 2nd pocket.

Adding Footballs...

* Peel of paper baking and position football corner to corner on diagonal within center of square on green fabric (per design)

* Fuse following manufacturer's directions.

* Repeat for 2nd Pocket.

Adding Bands...

* Use your previously fused scraps from white fabric or...

* Rotary cut white fabric 3 x 3" and heatnbond lite. Fuse to wrong side of white fabric following manufacturer's directions. 

* Rotary cut 4 strips (just shy of 1/2") x 3" or to your desired width. I adjusted my width of strips. 

* Position strips within football & mark lines with a pencil to form curve. See pic.


* Carefully cut & fuse to football following manufacturer's directions.

* Repeat for both pockets.

* Rotary cut tear-away stabilizer to 3 x 3"

* Place on wrong side of block and "a-play-que" around football as desired.

Tip: I use a small stitch length & needle down when stitching. Change thread hues as you go :-)

* Repeat for both pockets.

* Carefully tear-away stabilizer

Border/Binding

* Rotary cut backing/batting to 3.5 x 3.5....insul-bright if doing coaster :-)

Directions for 1/2" borders...

* Layer football block facing down...then batting...backing fabric (facing up/you)

Note: if doing coaster layer the insul-bright. 

* Clip at top 2 secure

* Carefully flip over & starting at top...fold over binding 1/2"

* Fold over again to make a finished fold on backside. Pin or clip.

* Top stitch on front of block,,,corner to corner to secure fold on back.

* Repeat for bottom border then left/right border.

Repeat same steps as above for 2nd pocket,

Note,,,if doing coaster add the "insul-bright lining when layering fabric pieces."

* Position pockets as desired on front side of apron.

* Top stitch around pocket from corner to corner leaving top open.

* Reinforce at start/stopping points

Now you can stop here but I'd love for you to make those adorable "prairie points" :-)

Prairie Point Hem...

* Rotary cut from white & green fabrics 5 x 5" strips then subcut into 5 x 5" squares.

* Make as many as needed for your apron size. I made 13 :-)

* With square right side down,,,fold in half diagonally...then fold in half again to for points.

Tip...I press my points to help keep their shape when pinning to apron :-) 

Also, if you would like "smaller prairie points just make your squares smaller...I recommended a test block for your desired size.

* Starting at center bottom of apron...layer the prairie points on your "sewn hem line" as your guide :-) with the right side of your prairie points open. Layering to the right inserting the prairie points as you go. Pin to secure and use your cutting table to help keep the points in line. 



* Repeat for left side of bottom hem apron but reverse the opining of points to the left and keep inserting prairie points as you go. 

* Topstitch to secure prairie points to apron.

* Then stitch again using your pressure foot as your guide another seam line to secure. Plus, it gives your apron a finished professional look :-)

Well, I hope you enjoy your "fun-ctional apron for all your football entertaining this season!

Please keep following for more fun & easy holiday scrap-a-longs!

Talk soon,

Cat






No comments:

Post a Comment