Friday, May 12, 2023

Cats Scrap Fishin'..."Scrap-a-long Pillow"...Phase 4 Finishing!

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are having a great week. I'm excited to share "the scrappy fish" are ready to go swimming! In fact...they almost did this morning! Oh my gosh, sometimes I wonder how I manage to get myself in certain situations. I was at the dock this morning trying to take a great pic of the pillow before the sun got to bright. Well, needless to say these scrappy fish attracted a very large fish that jumped up at the doc and about knocked the pillow and Aurifil thread into the water. It was probably more of "me" due to I jumped and hit the pillow and thread! I'm still blaming it on the fish...ha! Our lake is full of gators so thank God nothing fell in but I'm sure it was pretty funny if someone was watching. I guess the good that came out of this is not all the large fish are caught in our lake :-) Anyway...on to the pillow! In this phase you'll be finishing the pillow with a "bi-fold' back. You'll see why I love this technique. I used my "Christmas at the Lake" pillow that was 16 x16 to use as my "pillow form." I hate storing seasonal pillows. This way you're not taking up storage space by using the same pillow and just change the "pillow cover" per season. "1 Pillow...Sew Many Ways!"...win...win..for me! Plus with my "advanced technique" you'll be using more of your odd scrap pieces with a "scrappy back." So let's get started so your fish can go swimming too! Keep following for more fun & easy "Scrap-a-longs!" Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

Cooking blog: www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com


Scrappy Bi-Fold Back..

Tip: "Audition" your back scraps. I truly believe your "back fabric" should be just as pretty as all the hard work you did on the front of pillow. When you have tons of odd scrap pieces this is a great creative way to use them as well I love how my scrap fabric from Deborah Edwars "Shimmer" by Northcott Fabrics complimented the fabric & Aurifil thread perfectly! For a new quilter this will give you the chance to practice your straight line stitching/piecing. Mine isn't perfect due to my odd scrap pieces but I'm happy! Remember less-stress-quilting & have fun!



Here's all you do...

For your bi-fold back you will Scrap sew your pieces together with right sides 2 gether using a 1/4 " seam to achieve two pieces as follows. Remember to rotary cut your scrap strips & press as you go.

One 11 x 17

One 13 x 17

* on 13 x 17 scrap piece fold over 1' seam allowance to wrong side of fabric and press

* Fold and press in half again to form a secure hem when stitching. Press

* Top stitch on that fold using a 1/4" seam allowance to secure.

* It will be approx. 12 x 17

Repeat same method with 11 x 17 scrap piece.

It will be approx. 10 x 17

* Now lay fish block facing you and with "right sides 2gether" place 12 x 17 piece on top of block to left side of fish block with raw edges 2gether.

* Then place your 10 x 17 scrap piece to right of fish block with "with raw edges together.

Note: This is where your "fold" will overlap so I "double pin" at the folds to remind me to "reinforce those seams by back stitching. This will help secure your stitching when removing the pillow form when needed. 

* Now your "mock border" comes into play :-)

* Starting at one side of pillow sew a 1/2 seam allowance all around your pillow carefully stitching through all layers of fabric & pivot at corners.  I take my time at this step :-)

* Now from that sewing line sew another seam about a 1/4" in (towards raw edge) all around your pillow. This may seem "daunting" but this again reinforces your original seam on pillow.

Turn pillow inside/out. Press if needed. Insert your pillow form

You did it! You just created a "unique" scrap-fishin' pillow that you can't find in a decor store!

I hope you enjoyed this "Scrap-a-long" & keep following for more fun/easy projects!

Talk soon,

Cat





...

No comments:

Post a Comment