Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Cats Scrap Fishin' "Scrap-a-long" Pillow Phase 3

 Hey quilter's...hope all is well and you had fun "a-play-queing" all those cute fish in previous phase. I know it might have been a bit tedious if you "segmented" your fish, but I love how you get a different design using one template. Also working on a small project it's fun trying new techniques especially for a new quilter. I feel more people would learn to quilt if projects didn't seem so intimidating. I was blessed to grow up in a family of crafters but still as a child I started on a small scale with techniques. As an adult I'm all about fun...fast projects. Ha! I guess that's why my designs are geared toward the new quilter but with advanced techniques along the way. I taught 4-H in the past & kiddos want a fast result when learning. I have to say my "adult friends" are too! But it is always fun to "challenge" yourself learning new techniques. :-) Well in Phase 3 we'll be doing "scrappy borders" which I love using those odd scraps of fabric. I do need to apologize in advanced for my pics. The pics made the borders look a bit wonky but it was the "camera operator"...aka...me :-( Anyway, remember it's your pillow so have fun...get creative! Keep following for more "Spring Scrap-a-longs!"

Blessed Quilting,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

Cooking blog: www.cookingandecorwithcat.blogspot.com


Note: Before we start adding borders "carefully" trim away the extra backing/batting even with your center block. You don't need the extra bulk when adding borders. It was cut larger to help stabilize your block when a-play-queing and quilting :-)

Scrap Border #2 (3/4" finished)

* Rotary cut 2 scrap strips 1 1/4 x 13 1/2 for top/bottom border.

* With right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance sew strips to top/bottom of block.

* Press & square up if needed

* Rotary cut 2 scrap strips 1 1/4 x 15 for left/right border. Sew using same method as above.

Scrap Border # 3 ( 3/4" finished)

* Rotary cut 2 scrap strips 1 1/4 x 14 3/4 for top/bottom border (sew as above)

* Rotary cut 2 scrap strips 1 1/4 x 16 1/4 for left/right border (sew as above)

Mock border for bi-fold

This border is added to give the bi-fold pillow technique a bit more secure when sewing to block in next phase :-)

* Rotary cut 2 scrap strips 1 x 16 for top/bottom of block (sew same as above)

* Rotary cut 2 scrap strips 1 x 17 left/right border of block (sew same as above)

Note: your block should be approximately 17 x 17 for the next phase of adding backing for bi-fold pillow. Again, it's a bit larger than your 16 x 16 pillow form because I do a double seam for reinforcement around the block. It helps to secure edges when turning inside/out :-)

Less-stress-quilting :-)


Check back soon for the finishing of this fun "Scrapin' Fish Pillow" Here's a hint...I "challenged myself" to use "more odd scrap pieces" so I did a "scrappy strip backing." Yes! Can't wait to show you :-)

Talk soon,

Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment