Monday, November 21, 2022

Cats Tip of the Day!..."Lights...Camera...Action!"

 Hey quilter's...hope your week is off to a great start. The weekends are never long enough and it's hard to kick-start into Mondays for me anyway. But it's Thanksgiving week so I'm thinking a lot of y'all are home with your loved ones. Most schools are out during this time, so I wanted to first wish everyone a great...safe...shopping for Thanksgiving essentials. I say that on a serious note. I was shopping this weekend and could not find "apple pie spice." First, I was upset then I thought "way cool more people are baking these days!" Plus, the lines are so long. If you have "kiddos" plan on entertaining them in line. My heart went out to a family.... I remember those days of waiting in line & my daughter would want every candy bar. Oh, my goodness, I was exhausted by the time I was checking out. Funny story, my grandson continued the "tradition" but with Cheetos. He was the most hilarious "little guy" when we'd enter a grocery store. It was like he was entering "Cheeto-ville." Finally, after several times of shopping I just realized...here's your Cheetos...eat them while we are shopping & your "Gege may end of going to jail 'cause you're eating them before I paid for them. Oddly enough it didn't matter because he was one happy grandson! Well on that note enjoy every moment with your loved ones. Time does fly by fast. Being a "Gege is awesome" but does seem like yesterday my daughter was little & now she's a school counselor. Wow!

 Well, today's tip is due to "My Crazy Scrapin' 1/2 sq. Triangle Technique." Yes, I did a spin on my "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!" technique that was recently featured on auribuzz.com. First what an honor that was to be featured. Although recently with my "design brain" I took that technique to another level. You can see the technique in precious post "Cats Christmas Pepper-mint Crunch" table square. When you are "scrap-piecing" with my techniques you will never have 2 squares the same. There's no paper-piecing and each square is so unique. So "therapeutic" of seeing how your fabrics come 2gether. But it can be a bit challenging on figuring out which direction you want your squares to go. Actually, not a bad thing cause technique is crazy-fun! But recently while I was auditioning my squares...fancy word for playing with them...I forgot which design that i originally liked. It happens at my age especially when you have so many choices. I kept spinning my squares around...noticing the fabrics might have been too close together. Then realized I should have been taking "pics" using my phone. Oh, my goodness...again another easy tip to share. Y'all might already be doing this tip but I never used my phone when auditioning my squares. I take pics of my techniques along the way to share with y'all but this tip helps me tremendously. Not only can "swipe" to see your blocks you put together but the clarity of seeing the fabrics together helps as well. Sometimes your "lighting" might not enhance the color hues in your fabrics. This actually happened in my recent table square. I had too many reds together. This technique is extremely helpful due to my technique using scraps. You have so many choices...hence the word "action." Also, if you're "stumped" you can text some options to a "fellow quilter" for suggestions. Anyway, hope this tip helps and what a fun way to "introduce" a child to quilting this holiday season. Every child loves to take pics and you can inspire their inner creativity with piecing and designing quilt blocks. I wish y'all a Blessed Thanksgiving and enjoy every moment with your loved ones. 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Facebook & Pinterest

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com

Note...the 2 pics below we're my fav's. I love how one square looks like a "Christmas Tree." Alway's a surprise with my techniques :-)



Thanks for following and check back soon for another "Fun Christmas gift 2 make"

Stay safe, 

Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment