Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Scrap-a-long w/Cat..."Christmas Peppermint-Crunch Table Square" Phase 1

 Hey quilter's ...hope y'alls week is off to a great start. If you need a little "fabric therapy" to get you through the week,,,I've got it for you! Allow me to introduce my new twist on my recent "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!" technique. Yes, I did it...I actually did a spin on my own technique...you will use more scraps and hopefully get a little more "thread and fabric therapy" as well. The technique is called "Cats Crazy 1/2 sq. Triangle-Technique." Before I begin, let me share how this twist came about. It's "Hurrican Season", technically that should sum it all up but with my anxiety during this season and my "quilter's brain,' let's just say this technique happened. :-) This was definitely a "stress relief" recently! The funny thing is while scrap-piecing the technique I then realized "wholly smokes" how versatile this technique is. Again, with my technique there is no paper-piecing,,,no 2 squares the same...super scrap friendly & therapeutic. I will mention that I'm obsessed with this technique so just letting y'all know we have lots of fun scrap-a-longs ahead in 2023. So, while you're pulling your scraps 2gether please keep in mind that you can use the same design & technique with other fabrics for any decor season. This table square is very FUN-ctional due to you will use a piece of Insul-bright for any hot or cold item placed on square. A decorative centerpiece for entertaining or give as a great gift. I will also share a tip along the way where you can stop and make a "trivet" if you don't want to do the table square. Please keep in mind it's only 13 x 13 so you could easily enlarge just by adding more borders. Endless possibilities! I did accent quilting with Aurifil 50 weight thread in red/green and did I mention this adorable Christmas fabric is by Northcott. I love red/green peppermints during the Christmas season, so this design makes me happy, and I hope you enjoy it as well. So, grab your Christmas scraps and let's make another fun gift 2gether! 

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Facebook & Pinterest

Here's all you need...

* Aurifil 50 weight thread (Red #2260) & (Green #2885)

* Christmas scraps! (I will note design/pattern name as we go) 

* 4 inch square up ruler (I use Nifty Notions)

* Fons & Porter 1/4" seam ruler (optional but is wonderful)

* Spinning mat (optional but is very convenient...see my previous tip to make your own)

* Insul-bright (insert for hot/cold items)

* Sulky tear-away lightweight stabilizer

Here's all you do...

* Scrap piece your Red/White Christmas fabric 2gether at random and finger press/trim seams to an 1/8th if possible...less bulk

Note: I used Northcott Banyon batiks (reds) scrapped w/ Deborah Edwards "Santa Paws" & Patrick Lose (white) Sparkling Stars

Tip...remember the more scrap pieces you sew 2gether the more interesting your square becomes:-)


* Press & square up to 4 x 4-inch block

* Repeat the same method with your green/white fabrics

Note: I used Northcott Patrick Lose (Glam) & white is Patrick Lose "Sparkling Stars"



* Now the fun begins :-) With my "Scrap...Crackle...Pop!" technique, featured on www.auribuzz.com you would have one solid square and one "scrappy half-square triangle." Now with my new "Crazy 1/2 sq. Triangle Technique you will do the same half-square triangle technique but you will as follows...

* Place w/ right sides 2gether one red scrappy square on top of one green scrappy square.

* Draw a diagonal line down through block and sew a 1/4" seam on each side of diagonal line.

* Rotary cut on that diagonal line. Press & square up to 3 1/2" square.

* You now have 2 red/green "Cats Crazy 1/2 sq. Triangles" Again...no paper-piecing & no 2 squares the same! Seriously take a look at how "crazy" your square is & no paper-piecing! :-)

* Repeat same step to have 4 squares.


* Now sew top 2 squares w/ right sides 2gether using a 1/4" seam. Press.

* Do same for bottom 2 squares.

* Now following design pattern, join the square 2gether at center using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press & square up to a 6.5 x 6.5-inch block. Again, is this totally crazy? Look at your block...you created this "hot mess" with no paper-piecing! I don't know about you, but I love a design that looks like I pieces all those points together but without the stress. You know me...less-stess quilting! 


Tip...note the "pin" at top...audition your block and decide which direction you prefer and pin it. This is very important when adding "directional borders." You can see previous blog tip for more info. :-)

Here is your option....you can stop here and add borders and you will have my "trivet" design in previous post or continue on for a "FUN-ctional Table Square!" 

Talk soon for Phase 2!


No comments:

Post a Comment