Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Scrap-a-long w/Cat..."Christmas Peppermint-Crunch Table Square" Phase 2 & finishing!

 Hey quilter's...hope all is well & you're ready to have some more "thread n fabric therapy." By now you've decided on a trivet or table square. Either way, you will have a "unique" one-of-a-kind trivet or table square for entertaining or a great gift. My hope is to inspire quilters of all levels to know you don't have to stress yourself to have a "creative design." With my technique you get that unique design without the stress of paper-piecing. I have nothing against paper-piecing, but my "quilter's brain" goes a different direction :-) I love this technique. It's very versatile and you can view previous post of the original design using "Scrap...Crackle..Pop!" technique and make a "Christmas Table Runner." Just follow the pattern directions and use "Christmas Scraps." I'm excited to share in this Phase we'll be doing "directional borders." View my previous post for my easy tip! The Holidays are approaching fast and to help with less-stress, my designs are focused on "Holiday Entertaining" & "Great Gifts." But just keep following cause I'm super excited about my 2023 Pattern Line. Here's a hint, I'm even forcing myself out of my "Quilter's Comfort Zone." :-) So, let's finish our Christmas Peppermint-Crunch Table Square 2gether!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Facebook & Pinterest

Here's all you do...


Adding Borders...

 Border Strip #1...(Patrick Lose "Sparkling Stars")

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1" x 6.5" for top/bottom of block.

* Sew starting at top...with right sides 2gether and a 1/4" seam...sew strips per design.

* Press and square up if needed (scraps can stretch)

* Now rotary cut 2 strips 1" x 8" and sew to left/right side using same method as above.

Tip...alternating fabric strips in different colors shows the interesting design of "directional borders." Just remember to sew in the same directional sewing for each border you add :-)

Border Strip #2 (Northcott Fabrics-Banyon Batiks) 

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1.5" x 7.5" for top/bottom and sew same method as above.

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1.5" x 9.5" for left/right side of block...following same method. 

Tip...I fully recommend to always press your strips as you sew. This will give that crisp design w/out the stress :-)

Border Strip #3 (Patrick Lose "Glam")

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1.5" x 9.5 for top/bottom side of block...following same method as above.

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1.5" x 11" for left/right side of block...following same method as above.

Border strip #4 (Patrick Lose "Glam")

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1.5" x 11" for top/bottom side of block...following same method as above.

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1/5" x 13" for left/right side of block...following same method as above.

Tip...at this point if you desire to have a larger table square just continue to add more border strips following the same sewing directions.

Border/Binding/Quilting...

Note...you will be rotary cutting a wider border strip due to my border/binding technique. Also, once you have sewn your 5th border on you will then applique or quilt your block due to using the Insul-Bright. I prefer to not quilt over the Insul-Bright on a large-scale project, but you can totally do so if you wish. It does give a bit more "poofy" appearance to the block when you do so. :-)

Border # 5 (border/binding) Deborah Edwards "Santa Paws"

* Rotary cut two strips 2" x 13" for top/bottom of block. Sew in same manner as previous border.

* Rotary cut two strips 2" x 16 for left and right side of block. Sew in same manner. Press block.

* Rotary cut your batting & tear-away stabilizer to 12.5 x 12.5

* Layer quilt block with right side facing down then batting & stabilizer

* Pin or clip to secure but remove pins as you go when appliqueing or quilting :-)

* Applique or quilt as desired. I used contrasting Aurifil thread on the fabric in some areas using a decorative stitch. I love to "crazy-quilt" around squares. Crazy quilting was one of the first quilting techniques that I learned as a child and it's a "classic technique" in my opinion. Also, no need to applique or quilt in 5th border due to it folds back in later step & becomes your "binding." :-) Remember it's your block...get creative & have fun! 

 * Carefully "tear-away" stabilizer when finished. 

Border/Binding technique...

* Rotary cut your backing fabric to 13" x 13" and insul-bright.

Note...I used Patrick Lose "Christmas Magic"

* Layer backing fabric (right side down) then insul-bright, next block (right side up-facing you)

* Now starting at top, fold over border to back leaving a 1/4" border seam around block on front. Fold over in half again on back and tuck in to secure the fold. Pin or clip as desired. Now "stitch in the ditch" on front of block and this will secure your fold on back as well





Tip...I love to do a "decorative stitch" to make sure I catch seam on back plus it's pretty :-)

* Repeat same method with your bottom border then left border then right. 

Take your time...this part is a bit bulky due to sewing through all layers. 

YOU DID IT!!!! You completed a unique-one-of-a kind design. Isn't it the Sweetest-Scrappiest- FUN-ctional-Magical Christmas Peppermint-Crunch Table Square ever? Well, maybe that's a bit much but I do hope you enjoyed this scrap-a-long. I appreciate y'all following me and doing these fun projects with me from the comfort of your home. Keep following for more fun & easy Christmas projects. 

Stay safe & Happy Quilting,
Cat
















No comments:

Post a Comment