Saturday, November 5, 2022

Scrap-a-long w/ Cat..."Pumpkin Spice Latte' Trivet" Phase 2 & Finishing!

 Hey quilter's...hope your weekend is off to a great start. I woke to a beautiful fall morning with a "touch" of a Fall breeze. Wasn't much but I'll take it! :-) I do miss fall in Texas. You could see the leaves changing and just the smell in the air with the Pine Tress was wonderful. The month of November seems to go so fast and before you know it Christmas is here. I've been trying to keep up with my gift making this year. I decided to do "smaller" projects that are still memorable but less stress to finish. So, between now and Christmas I'll be sharing these fun & easy projects to make your gift-giving season less-stressful as well. But come January we'll be doing some fun seasonal quilt-a-longs. I'm excited of next year's projects but for now let's finish this cute fall trivet. I'm always stating with my projects "one-design-sew-many-ways" but it's absolutely true. The trivet is scraped pieced in fall colors, but you could do the same design in any fabric to match any seasonal decor. I love how this is a sweet fun gift to make as well. Call me "old school" but there's nothing more special than a handmade gift. Enjoy!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

Facebook & Pinterest

*Border/Binding/Quilting

Here's all you do...

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1.5 x 6.5...sew w/ right sides 2gether to top/bottom of your square.

   Press & Square up if needed.

* Rotary cut 2 strips 1/5 x 8.5...sew w/ right sides 2gether to left and right sides of your square.

   Press & square up if needed.

Tip...I do my border/binding technique where you fold to the back of your square and then top stitch. You can make your strip width wider if it's easier for you when folding. I'm usually working w/ scrap pieces, so I tend to make useful of the strips...do what's easier for you.


*Tip...due to using the Insul-bright insert, I quilt the top as follows. I've quilted on the Insul-bright in previous projects but for this one I'm added on later. Do what's easier for you...this tiny block I didn't want to have all the bulk ;-)

* Rotary cut your batting to 6 1/4 x 6 1/4

* Rotary cut your tear-easy stabilizer to 6 1/2 x 6 1/2

Layer as follows...

Tear easy...then batting...then quilt top right side up (facing you)

Pin or clip to secure.

Quilt as desired.

Remember..."tear-away" stabilizer carefully when finished quilting :-) Lightly press if needed.

Tip...I did some outline quilting of the "orange peel" design using the 4-n-1 ruler by Piece N Quilt with 50 weight Aurifil thread in # 2235. The squares are tiny, so I set my stitch length to smaller stitches to make my pivoting easier. If you don't wish to do this technique you could always do a outline stich or quilt in the ditch. It's your trivet so have fun and try a new technique due to the small scale it's a great time to practice. 



Border/Binding technique...

* Rotary cut your "backing fabric" to 6 1/4 x 6 1/4

* Rotary cut your Insul-bright to 6 x 6

* Layer...Block...right side facing down...then insulbright then backing fabric (right side facing up/you)

Tip...Clip or pin at top to secure as you flip over. 

Starting at the top...

Fold over border and only leave a 1/4" binding on the front...finger press...fold over again to secure your fold on the back side and pin or clip in place.  

Repeat same method for the bottom of block.



Top stitch on the front or "quilt in the ditch" and this will secure the binding on the back. No worries if it's not perfect on the back. I use a washable fabric glue to secure areas that didn't catch with thread as needed :-)


Repeat same method for left and right border.

Well, you finished another great "unique" project. I love this technique cause no matter how you piece it your blocks are always different. For me..it's fun and very therapeutic...seeing how different the squares are when piecing with my technique & using your scraps.  Check back soon for another fun fall project with Aurifil thread & Northcott Fabrics. Google their thread & fabric lines.... absolutely stunning & great quality! 

Talk soon, Cat






No comments:

Post a Comment