Sunday, September 26, 2021

Scrapin' w/ Cat Quilt-a-long..."Cookie Cutter Christmas" (Phase 3)

 Hey quilter's....hope y'all are having a great weekend. Well phase 3 of my Cookie Cutter Christmas Quilt-a-long is "sew" much fun. I had to laugh due to this is the one part that you don't "see" a lot of progress. This step you will be doing "raw edge applique." Depending on your technique used you might not even "see" your stitches. But you just need to know that this step is very important. Doing a raw edge applique "secures" your cookie cutter design in place. Using Sulky light-weight tear-away stabilizer will keep your stiches "taught" & your design very neat. The stabilizer will make "stcitching" around the curves easy. I used Aurifil 50 weight # 2692 and you can hardly see my stitches. Use a thread that blends with your fabric or choose a thread that accents your design. Enless Possibilities! 

Have fun & remember...less-stress-quilting!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Pinterest & Facebook

www.cookinganddecorwithcat.blogspot.com



Here's all you need...

*Sulky light-weight-tear-away Stabilizer
*Aurifil thread

Heres all you do...

Layout your design & number your blocks if you did the "advanced step." See pic.
Decide what stitch you will be using for your "raw edge applique"
Tip...small stitch length makes piviting around corners easier :-)
Rotary cut your stabilizer a bit larger than your square.
Tip...I like to use double-sided tape to temporary secure stabilizer to fabric....trim tape to a 1/4" depth and place on edge or your fabric. Or use pins to secure.
Applique as desired.
I chose to only stitch stitch on the inside edge of my snowflake then I'll do some "accent stitching" around snowflake once I get to the quilting stage. 
Do the same if you wish. 
Tip...if you are appliqueing with more then one thread hue try to applique each block while using that thread hue. No need to keep changing your top threads. One reason why I number my squares to keep in the correct order. #less-stress-quilting!

Quick q....don't y'all love my "temporary design wall"....or floor....I have to admit I'm gonna miss putting my blocks on the floor once I finish my sewing room. Sometimes we just need to do what works and it is definatley working for now anyway :-)

Talk soon for Phase 4 :-)









No comments:

Post a Comment