Saturday, November 11, 2023

Cats Tip of the Day!...."The key to a successful Charm Pack Challenge"

 Hey quilter's...hope y'all are having a great weekend. The weather here in Florida is perfect...well today anyway. If I could have this weather every day in Texas it would be a win for me. But I'm not going to complain because hurricane season is almost over. Which means I've survived 3 hurricane seasons now in Florida. I seriously don't know how everyone does it. Anticipating a hurricane is nerve wracking and I tend to "stress eat" which is not good! Well as y'all know I'm doing a "Christmas Charm Pack Challenge" & have to say I really challenged myself. I'm not one for tiny piecing. I really admire quilters who piece tiny squares. Each charm pack are usually 5" square pieces and then you add piecing gifts from only 5" squares on top of that. Needless to say, I was a bit frazzled and then my O.C.D. kicked in. Yes...I had to "organize" my squares. I know...it's me as I say "only Cat does" :-) but y'all it helped me tremendously. My charm pack had 42...5" squares. When I laid them out, I realized I had a few singles. Hmm...well that really got my brain thinking. So, then I decided to really organize by 2's then singles to help me with design placement. What was really exciting was doing this process actually inspires your creative brain while you are admiring all the different fabric styles and hues. I knew this challenge was going to be fun and trying to make as many gifts as possible was a bit difficult, but it's been a blast. I'm excited to share the gift ideas that I've come up with so far & hope to inspire your creativity too. I'll be starting the first gift idea on Monday so in the meantime organize your charm pack for inspiration. If you don't have a charm pack, then hit your "scrap pile" for inspiration & rotary cut them into 5" squares. I do suggest at all times to rotary cut your squares. I've designed most of the patterns with hardly any waste. In fact, the first design uses 2, 5"-inch squares for each gift. The designs after may have some left-over "scraps" but trust me we'll be using those up too! The pic below shows how I laid out the squares for inspiration. I love all the fabric designs in this Moda collection!  I hope you follow along on Monday with me and share your ideas you come up with on Instagram with me. If you do, just #catscharistmascharmpackchallenge for all of us to see. I'm really excited about this challenge. Making handmade gifts and saving money is a win for me! Thanks again for following and have a great weekend. See ya Monday!

Blessed Quilting from My Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest

Links on upper right of blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment